Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Anybody else planning their holiday grocery shopping around sales ... for stocking up?
Yup! Getting ready for the annual turkey sales. I stuff the freezer. DO the same thing with ham sales in spring. My goal is 12...one for each month.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OMG Wifezilla..! You must have BIG freezer, or buy little turkeys..lol

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have a big freezer, but I'm planning on canning a TON of turkey meat... at this time of year it's the cheapest meat there is, so I plan to get enough for us AND the dogs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
This time of year my meat is on the hoof. We have a TON of deer around here, and i saw a big ole buck the other day :D Gun season is just around the corner :D :D I should get into archery :/ I could have a deer NOW!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We get a half of a beef after Thanksgiving plus I have meaties to dispatch and baby rabbits on the way. So we got meats now. I hope we can get some hams and turkeys to can and use.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Dang, Mark, where do you find these things?? Pessimists R Us??...
:D It sure does seem like that at times. I read a few economics and political science related blogs, and try to keep up with commodities. I like to try and watch for trends and patterns, then make a few predictions and see how they turn out. And yes, I DO have too much time on my hands. :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
i_am2bz said:
Dang, Mark, where do you find these things?? Pessimists R Us??...
:D It sure does seem like that at times. I read a few economics and political science related blogs, and try to keep up with commodities. I like to try and watch for trends and patterns, then make a few predictions and see how they turn out. And yes, I DO have too much time on my hands. :lol:
Any websites on commodity shortages?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dang I don't think um going to get multiple turkeys this year. Unless I can the meat. I'm full to the rim on freezer space.
:barnie

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Any websites on commodity shortages?
I don't read any that are directly related to shortages, but I do check a couple of commodity blogs a few times a week. I did a search for commodity related blogs, and I came up with this site that has a list. I started here , and found some that I thought were well researched and then eventually came across a few more.

I also routinely check the Index Mundi pages, as well as the Bloomberg Dollar Index to see the dollar is faring against other currencies.