Food Storage Challenge

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I don't get why cheese is so darned expensive, yet I got butter for $2 a lb. this week, no limit???

When the CA canned fruit went on sale last month in my local store there was no limit either, so I had them order in several cases for me. No scurvy for us! We get fruit from our trees so very rarely (average once in 8 years) because of late frosts. :(

BTW - If you freeze raw sweet peppers and use them they have enough Vitamin C to keep you nice and healthy if you can get the kids and DH to eat them.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm SUCH a cheese eater - I love the stuff, I spend a fortune on cheese.

Anyone ever have Cougar GOld cheese? Getting just about time to order it (only online for me) its made by washington univ. students - its the MOST amazing cheese ever!

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
was looking in the pantry for some fruit the other day and noticed I have 17 cans of tuna in water, so its tuna salad, tuna patties and tuna to store at our house, I knew I have more than usual cans of tuna but 17 cans, Had a really bad SENIOR MOMENT. :caf marrie

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Found 2.5 oz Folgers coffee on sale at the dollar store for 5 dollars. No limit. Bought 5

Does anyone shop the reduced for quick sale meat at the grocery?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I do, and whatever I don't cook that day, I freeze.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

********absolutely. I never buy meat regular price. It must be on sale, or reduced for quick sale or created by my animals. Never regular price, ever! I haven't bought meat regular price for 20 years..LOL-LOL

Tony and I are butchering a pig and having all the great cuts made. Usually we just make whole hog sausage every week to sell to our customers, but we are picking out a smaller hog and butchering for our freezer again. My processer won't cut bacon...??...he just doesn't and I have to have a slab just processed and I will bring it home and cut my own thick sliced bacon....Yippee...YUMMY----so gotta get some freezer space ready...Ugh..LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

********absolutely. I never buy meat regular price. It must be on sale, or reduced for quick sale or created by my animals. Never regular price, ever! I haven't bought meat regular price for 20 years..LOL-LOL
I pass 3 grocery stores on my way to and from work. Every Monday morning I get up early enough to stop at all three and catch their leftover quick sale meats from the weekend. Fortunately we have a fridge a work. Monday night is repackage, vaccum seal night at my house. LOL
My neighbors think we are rich because we are always eating steak. I keep telling them, early, Monday Morning, beat me to the quick sale section and you too can be eating steak for less than the cost of bologna.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Monday Morning, beat me to the quick sale section

***********SHHHHH--don't be telling your neighbors that...LOL-LOL

it is a competition of sorts cause I know my stores schedule also....and so do some other smart women who want to save.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
I pass 3 grocery stores on my way to and from work. Every Monday morning I get up early enough to stop at all three and catch their leftover quick sale meats from the weekend. Fortunately we have a fridge a work. Monday night is repackage, vaccum seal night at my house. LOL
My neighbors think we are rich because we are always eating steak. I keep telling them, early, Monday Morning, beat me to the quick sale section and you too can be eating steak for less than the cost of bologna.
Haha! That's awesome! :D

Cassandra

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Monday Morning, beat me to the quick sale section

***********SHHHHH--don't be telling your neighbors that...LOL-LOL

it is a competition of sorts cause I know my stores schedule also....and so do some other smart women who want to save.
I don't really have to worry about my neighbors.
Most are to lazy to get up before noon. They wonder why I have chickens, why I bake my own bread, and have a garden. Thats all so much work you know. Why would anyone want to work from before sunup til after sundown doing all that stuff plus hold down a full time job and cook a full meal everynight. Most of them would not survive a full blown depression. And none of them turn down free eggs weekly or the occasional loaf of fresh bread. But then again none of them complain about my 8 roosters crowing either. ;)

Latest posts