Food Storage Challenge

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
2dream said:
FarmerChick said:
Monday Morning, beat me to the quick sale section

***********SHHHHH--don't be telling your neighbors that...LOL-LOL

it is a competition of sorts cause I know my stores schedule also....and so do some other smart women who want to save.
I don't really have to worry about my neighbors.
Most are to lazy to get up before noon. They wonder why I have chickens, why I bake my own bread, and have a garden. Thats all so much work you know. Why would anyone want to work from before sunup til after sundown doing all that stuff plus hold down a full time job and cook a full meal everynight. Most of them would not survive a full blown depression. And none of them turn down free eggs weekly or the occasional loaf of fresh bread. But then again none of them complain about my 8 roosters crowing either. ;)
Same here, 2dream! Love your name, BTW! :D

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the supermarkets are not reducing their "close to code" meat as low as they use to? I have noticed that a $10 pack of hamburg that use to be reduced by $5, 3 or 4 months ago might only be reduced by $2 now. I have also noticed that one store now uses 30 cent reduced meat stickers on some items. These same stores have also "adjusted" their coupon policies as well (they claim they have not). I went into my usual supermarket a few weeks ago, armed with my coupons. I had 4 four coupons that were the same. When I got to the register after doing my grocery shopping, I was told that they would only honor 2 of the 4 coupons. When I asked them why, I was told that it was store policy to limit the number of the same coupons that one person could use. When asked when this policy had changed, I was told that this had always been the policy. I know that this was not the case because I have, in the past used 3-4 of the same coupons in the same order without a problem. Needless to say, I left the items that I could not use coupons on, there.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
Has anyone noticed that the supermarkets are not reducing their "close to code" meat as low as they use to? I have noticed that a $10 pack of hamburg that use to be reduced by $5, 3 or 4 months ago might only be reduced by $2 now. I have also noticed that one store now uses 30 cent reduced meat stickers on some items. These same stores have also "adjusted" their coupon policies as well (they claim they have not). I went into my usual supermarket a few weeks ago, armed with my coupons. I had 4 four coupons that were the same. When I got to the register after doing my grocery shopping, I was told that they would only honor 2 of the 4 coupons. When I asked them why, I was told that it was store policy to limit the number of the same coupons that one person could use. When asked when this policy had changed, I was told that this had always been the policy. I know that this was not the case because I have, in the past used 3-4 of the same coupons in the same order without a problem. Needless to say, I left the items that I could not use coupons on, there.
I have not noticed any of my 3 stores doing this on the meat. It is always reduced to 1/2 the original price. I don't use coupons so I can't answer on that part.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
haven't had that---my reduced for quick sale is still very low priced....at least 1/2 off and sometimes cheaper ones I find (?)

coupons, no haven't had this problem either...the stores I use all take as many coupons for each item I have.

HHMMM....you got me wondering though if policies might change...I wouldn't be surprised. They are cutting their loses also...yikes, and that means by nailing us...LOL

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
When I got to the register after doing my grocery shopping, I was told that they would only honor 2 of the 4 coupons. When I asked them why, I was told that it was store policy to limit the number of the same coupons that one person could use. When asked when this policy had changed, I was told that this had always been the policy.
I know our store varies by cashier as to what the policy is! Seriously! Some could care less, and say "well, we'll try it, if the computer let's them run through, then we're good" Others just say "no, we're not allowed to accept those" etc... I purposely try to go to the younger punky lookin' ones, b/c I know they'll let me use my coupons.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of my relatives just called and asked me if I wanted a crate of bell peppers. I said yes. Does this count as food storage?? I think it does-yah for me...:D

oh by the way cost? FREE :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Speaking of discounted meat...I always buy cheap meat. I find that Monday AM is good and Wed Am as the weekly sales end Tuesday at midnight, so everything that is already marked on sale gets clearance out on Wed AM.

My local stores have also changed the coupon policies.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Local honey 2 x 3# jars for $15 ea
Jif Peanut Butter 2 x 2pk of 40 oz jars for $5 ea
Crushed Graham Cracker Crumbs 3# for $3
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds 50# for $20

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
bottle vegetable oil 2.79
2 boxes quick oats 1.99
20 cans baked beans .99
5 cans black beans .79
5 cans pinto beans .79
20 cans corn .69 each
2 jars peanut butter 2.79
12 cans chunky soup .79 ea
12 cans spagettios .79
12 boxes pasta .50 ea
6 jars pasta sauce 2.00 ea.
3 bottles bbq sauce .79
4 bottles salad dressing .99 ea
2 maple syrup 2.79
2 cases of water 3.99 ea.
10 jugs spring water .99 ea.
10 bottles sports drinks .99
box of tea bags 1.89
cannister of ice tea mix $2.00
cannister of lemonade mix $2.00
cannister of instant breakfast mix $5.99
rice and various boxed items(approx 20) that I would have to look up the prices on.
I don't have the reciept in front of me, and can't sleep because of back pain so I figured I would check out the forums, not sure if I remembered everything but gave it a shot.

Also bought lots of extra toiletries, papergoods, trashbags,batteries, lightbulbs, lamp oil etc.

While I was at it, I bought 200 lbs of chicken feed for around $45.00

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and can't sleep because of back pain so I figured I would check out the forums, not sure if I remembered everything but gave it a shot.

********hey simple life----I hope you are feeling better. Nothing worse than PAIN! Did you hurt yourself recently? I hope you feel better real fast!! :)

Tony fell out of a deer stand when younger, fractured a part of his vertabrae and has never been right since. Yes, he can predict weather...LOL-LOL

Latest posts