Food storage list must haves

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
Fast food places almost always have them. You just have to get there at the right time. Over the course of about 2 weeks I collected 8 from 2 different restaurants. Now that was 25 years ago and I used them when I went on 3-4 day canoe trips. We used them to keep everything dry just in case the creek dumped us; and it did - more than once. Never had wet clothes or sleeping bag or anything else. They really do seal air and water tight.
WOW! that is really interesting. I would have never thought of using them during a canoe trip! (not that I go canoeing!)

We have been looking for some of these buckets. Our local grocery gives them away for free, if you can be the first one to ask for them when they are available. *sigh*

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Not only do I keep a rotated supply of essentials already mentioned( sugar, powered milk, evaporated milk, flour, meal, rice, canned soups etc.) I make sure my dry storage foodstuffs are rotated every 2 months, extra batteries are used and new ones purchased every 2 months. 3 Flashlights are checked monthly and kept within reach. I also keep charcoal on hand, and cast iron cookware for cooking over an open flame if necessary. I made it a point to practice cooking with a cast iron dutch oven using charcoal.
(We like to eat so all this is important to us.) LOL
Also we keep a minimum of 30 gals of gasoline on hand for the generator plus at least 2 extra propane bottles are always full for the grill.
Coffee - lots and lots of COFFEE, I could not survive even one day without coffee. Oh yeah, I have a old fashion perculator coffee pot to make that coffee in too. Works on open flame or the grill or with a few charcoal coals.
My goodness, do I sound like someone who has been without power before?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree on te cast iron and out door cooking essentials. Coffee pot etc... This weekend we are heading out to the desert. We have a fith wheel so out door cooking is not necessary but I plan to try. I am taking my new dutch oven with me. Practice makes perfect. I am looking forward to using it.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
Has anyone added Honey.. read some where that is the only food that will not spoil.
I purchased dried honey flakes sealed in cans. They are suppose to las forever but I think just regular honey will last forever but if it freezes it will crystalize and be harder to work with. It can also dry out and get hard. Keep a tight lid on it for long term storage.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Welcome Mackay!

I have never heard of tinned butter.

A lot of us keep brown rice in the freezer to keep it from going rancid. I think several of us have learned that the hard way. :(
Should I move the brown rice i have in the frige to the freezer even if I plan to use it in 9 to 12 months?

I had never heard of tinned butter either. I think it came from Australia.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
2dream said:
3 Flashlights are checked monthly and kept within reach.
Coffee - lots and lots of COFFEE, I could not survive even one day without coffee. Oh yeah, I have a old fashion percolator coffee pot to make that coffee in too. Works on open flame or the grill or with a few charcoal coals.
I just bought the most amazing flashlights from LL Bean. They are a rechargeable crank flashlight, one minute of cranking gives 1/2 hour of LED light! They are plenty bright enough for walking around, not as good for throwing a light long distances. They say the battery will last more than 10 years.

I need to buy an old time percolator, I saw one on ebay that matches my flame descoware, but it went for over 80 bucks. Not in my budget. What metal is your pot made of?

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hoosier said:
It does take a bit of effort, but we use a hand cranked grinder for wheat. My husband is supposed to eat whole grain stone ground flour, but if you read the labels, even the ones that say whole grain usually start with enriched white flour followed shortly by high fructose corn syrup.
I inherited a grinder form my parents, they had it given to them by my grandparents. They couldn't see themselves using it and I wheat that needs to be ground. It is electric but in emergency you can unscrew the plug and attach a bicycle sprocket? The part with the peddle and bar that attaches to your chain.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Great thread. I am working on my "emergency kit" as we speek. Lots of things I have forgotten.

Does anyone know of a good book to describe and explain the different types of wheat and their purposes?
I have a new faviorite web page. Emergencyessentials.com. Great place for buckets and resealable lids. Food cost are rather high. I found I can put the pails together on my own for less. But, tons of good ideas.
what to have, menus, etc. I bought the garden in the can. Not hybred seeds. they say it will last years in the freezer.

UncleJoe that is a great idea on the tom sauce. I had that exact problem this year. Put the sauce in the freezer.

Oh, yeah I need to get the spam.:D
The encyclopedia of country living has a lot of good info.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
I need to buy an old time percolator, I saw one on ebay that matches my flame descoware, but it went for over 80 bucks. Not in my budget. What metal is your pot made of?
Mine is just a cheap aluminum one. Had if for years. Have used it in the camper, rough camping and during power outages. Its been put to the test and keeps right on perking.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
2dream said:
Mine is just a cheap aluminum one. Had if for years. Have used it in the camper, rough camping and during power outages. Its been put to the test and keeps right on perking.
We have 2 of those a big one & a small one & the big one has really been put to the test too. They just seem to keep on working like a timex don't they? Funny dh likes the coffee at home but when we go to our place up north(no elec) I use the stove top one & he can't get enough coffee, says it is the best he ever had. I have tried to talk him into getting a perculator for home but he says he likes his maker he has. So go figure.