Food storage list must haves

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here's one link that tells some about different kinds of salt:

http://www.juicing-for-health.com/celtic-sea-salt.html

It's quite easy to do a google search with "dangers of xxx" on things such as salt, coffee, flouride, chlorine, mold, fragrances, etc.

It takes some discernment to separate the wheat from the chaff and the tares. But, there is a lot of very useful information to be found thru google searches, thanks to those who've done research and posted their findings.

In addition to the brand Real Salt, which I buy in bulk, I also use Coarse Organic Grey Sea Salt, from near the Brittany Coast. It's called Sel Marin de l'ile de Noirmoutier

It can be purchased from: Tradco Ltd.
Tel. 678-406-0003
Fax. 678-406-9222

They are in Stone Mountain, Georgia.

I bought mine from a local health food store. It also comes in "fine", but I prefer the taste of the coarse.

It's much less expensive than the brand Celtic Sea Salt, and I prefer Tradco salt. Apparently, it's quite popular with gourmet chefs.

Their Other Mother

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
One Year Pantry Plan
This plan was originated in 2004 and its objective was to build your stored food supply on $50.00 a month. With the recent food shortage reports the dollar amount listed has likely more than doubled for 2008. Interesting to see just how much our food costs have gone up in 4 years. I've done some research on daily protien needs and can email anyone interested the entire year as it is quite extensive.

November:
Meat month
12oz. Canned Corned Beef 7.5 lbs. $12.00
6 oz. Canned Tuna 11.25 lbs. $13.50
12oz. Canned Lunch Meat 7.5 lbs. $12.00
5.0z. Canned Chicken 7.5 lbs. $12.00

If you're good to go on meat try spending the $50 on some kitchen equipment, vacumn bags, extra dehydrator trays, canning jars, lids, bands, an extra seal for your pressure canner. All critical stuff that sometimes gets pushed to the bottom of the "To Buy" list.

December:
Baking month, since most of these items will be on sale for the Holidays.

12oz. Baking Powder 3 lbs. $5.00
6 oz. Baking Soda 10 lbs. $5.00
12oz. Cinnamon, Ground 1 lb. $8.00
12oz. Corn Starch 3 lbs. $3.00
5.0z. Cocoa 2.5 lbs. $5.00
12oz. Vanilla Extract 0.5 lbs. $10.00
5.0z. Red Wine Vinegar (1 gal) 8 lbs. $2.00
12oz. White Vinegar (2 gal) 16 lbs. $4.00
5.0z. Yeast 0.5 lbs. $8.00

If you're good to go on all cooking and baking goods, spend the $50 on some cooking and preserving books.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Helena said:
Here's one link that tells some about different kinds of salt:

http://www.juicing-for-health.com/celtic-sea-salt.html

It's quite easy to do a google search with "dangers of xxx" on things such as salt, coffee, flouride, chlorine, mold, fragrances, etc.

It takes some discernment to separate the wheat from the chaff and the tares. But, there is a lot of very useful information to be found thru google searches, thanks to those who've done research and posted their findings.

In addition to the brand Real Salt, which I buy in bulk, I also use Coarse Organic Grey Sea Salt, from near the Brittany Coast. It's called Sel Marin de l'ile de Noirmoutier

It can be purchased from: Tradco Ltd.
Tel. 678-406-0003
Fax. 678-406-9222

They are in Stone Mountain, Georgia.

I bought mine from a local health food store. It also comes in "fine", but I prefer the taste of the coarse.

It's much less expensive than the brand Celtic Sea Salt, and I prefer Tradco salt. Apparently, it's quite popular with gourmet chefs.
I brought home 10 lbs of the grey sea salt from Normandy, it is the BEST salt I have ever cooked with, I highly recommend this also!!!

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
honestly I have some canned foods and a well stocked pantry but I will rely on my Military rations that I have, same with my emergency water supply. I have enough of them to feed a small army if necessary lol. I know all of the necessary vitamins and proteins are in it and they are compact and have a shelf life of 7 or more years. For me the little disasters would be just an inconvenience its the big ones that I worry about.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi happy

but I will rely on my Military rations that I have,

****just curious....I never bought military rations or anythign like that.....why do you have them? Do you go camping with such items or is it literally for emergencies? I figure you were associated with these types of meals from somewhere? Like rafting and such, I know people bring this type of meal to eat and they stay dry...LOL

just wondering!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you can get the meal in a bag things like MRE's at places like Gander Mountain and stuff because they have them for camping.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Google MRE and you will get a lot of hits for places that sell them,

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In The Long Winter, Laura's family used an old fashioned coffee grinder and sourdough culture to make bread.

Beekissed said:
If you don't have a generator, one can grind their wheat the old fashioned way, mortar and pestle! :) Yeah, it takes longer but, you'll have the time...all systems will be down and surviving will be first priority.

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
cjparker said:
Non-food stuff I would want in an Emergency Preparedness Kit: (by no means inclusive)

Long stick matches
A bag of charcoal or one of those little propane cannisters for the grill
Keep your chacoal in an air tight bucket. Charcoal and matches absorb moisture from the air and don't last very long. When our power went out my husband had to go hunt down fire wood because our stash in the garage wouldn't light. I later read the warning on the bottom of the package about the moisture. Paint buckets from the hardware store work well for this.