Foodies - explain please?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
abifae said:
I'll give the soy lecture. LOL.

Soy was originally planted not as a food, but to restore nitrogen to soil. That is why it was one of the five main rotator crops in China.

They knew it was toxic so it wasn't eaten for a very long time until they realized they could digest it if it was fermented (famines are so educational).

So, fermented: the bad stuff breaks down. Miso is great. Fermented tofu is great. Raw, it is very bad.

So there are studies showing a LOWER cancer rate in asian countries that consume soy and a HIGHER cancer rate in western countries that consume soy. The difference: Fermented versus raw.

It's cheaper and faster to cook it and try to break it down with chemicals but fermenting is the only safe way! bwahahahaha.

This is a great article given the basics :)
So, is tofu a fermented product? Or do you mean tofu that has had something more done to it? My Korean SIS left me a block of tofu when she left after Christmas - just regular supermarket tofu. Should I toss it? Or soak it in kefir whey?
Soy actually has to ferment on its own for 6-9 months for the bad stuff to break down.
I say toss it , unless it says on it, that its fermented.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From the bottom of the link shared by Abi:
In other words, its not a traditional food. Nor is non-fermented tofu. Theyre the Asian equivalents of margarine, hot bath canning, vegetable oil, or soda pop something relatively new on the food scene which became very widespread with the industrialization of the food supply. And like these industrialized food products, they are bad for your health.
Is this talking about WBC? Now I'm confused :hu

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful info! Soy = bad (unless it's fermented, and in teeny amounts), got it!

Back to powdered milk - how is it oxidized cholesterol? I didn't realize there was cholesterol in milk? Or is it something in the drying process that transforms it? I'm still confused on the whole powdered milk thing. (I believe you, but I want to understand it - if that makes sense.) The link you posted Free, didn't work :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
From the bottom of the link shared by Abi:
In other words, its not a traditional food. Nor is non-fermented tofu. Theyre the Asian equivalents of margarine, hot bath canning, vegetable oil, or soda pop something relatively new on the food scene which became very widespread with the industrialization of the food supply. And like these industrialized food products, they are bad for your health.
Is this talking about WBC? Now I'm confused :hu

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful info! Soy = bad (unless it's fermented, and in teeny amounts), got it!

Back to powdered milk - how is it oxidized cholesterol? I didn't realize there was cholesterol in milk? Or is it something in the drying process that transforms it? I'm still confused on the whole powdered milk thing. (I believe you, but I want to understand it - if that makes sense.) The link you posted Free, didn't work :(
Fixed it...but here is is again: www.westonaprice.org. The .com used to work, too. :hu

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH! Good questions! I have to admit that I just 2% milk to make my yogurt for the week. Who would have thought that 2%, 1% etc was made of powdered milk?

And I also thought that powdered milk was just milk that had been dehydrated.

MAN! I've got a lot of learning to do!

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also thought that powdered milk was dehydrated milk. I was making yogurt (recipe from BYC Site) thinking it was really good for us, but the recipe calls for dry milk. I really like making my own. Is there an alternative? Man, everyone here is so knowledgeable! I am learning so much here....(And I thought I already knew it all!)..... bwa-ha-ha :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
walnuthollow said:
I also thought that powdered milk was dehydrated milk. I was making yogurt (recipe from BYC Site) thinking it was really good for us, but the recipe calls for dry milk. I really like making my own. Is there an alternative? Man, everyone here is so knowledgeable! I am learning so much here....(And I thought I already knew it all!)..... bwa-ha-ha :lol:
Best alternative would be fresh whole milk, organic and raw if you can get it. (I can get organic, but not raw :hit:rant)
Oh, and powdered milk is just dehydrated milk - it is the method used in the dehydrating that makes it bad.

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick & Abifae, The recipe is easy and oh, so good. I do use raw milk, but i also calls for dry milk and yougurt...(I use the stony-field farms).

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make yogurt all the time. Scald the milk. Add the yogurt starter. Set in warm place. Eight hours later, put in the fridge.

Not thick enough? Put in cheesecloth over a bowl to drip off the excess whey.

Enjoy.

Latest posts