For Those Unprepared, Will It Be Like This..??

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Oh, and I remember last year during our record breaking blizzards....we went in Foodlion and it was so bare! I took pics!!! It's in this blog post. I'm not sure if the shelves were so bare because the food was spoiling or if people bought up everything and there were no trucks coming in.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I love Black Friday shopping. :hide

We usually only go to one or two stores. We get there at 4, they open at 5, we rush (safely) and get what we need, then maybe go to the next store. We're usually back home and in PJs by 8 AM. It's great! We usually only buy what we were planning on getting anyways. This year there's only one thing I really want to get, and it's $25 marked down from $40. It's enough of a savings to make me want to wake up early. Plus, I've never experienced a mob. Lots of people in a hurry? Yes, but everyone has been orderly. This year we'll be in NC though, so hopefully those Southerners will behave. :lol:
NC ain't southern! And what's this "those southerners" hmmm? :lol: :p We party hardy down here! :gig Come down to Arkansas, Mississippi, or Texas if'n you wanna Black Friday mob. :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our whole family of females tend to go every year on Black Friday! We go to Menards for the early shop but then we all meet up for breakfast at 9am in the city of the rotation (one year Grand Rapids, the next Lansing, the next Battle Creek) then we hit the mall just to enjoy the wild decorations and maybe find a bargain. My son decided to go last year and the year before and has so much fun going that he wants to go every year and guess what? Having a 6 foot 4 inch teen pushing the cart or standing in line while we fill the cart really makes a big difference! No one tries to pilfer from the cart and no one gives me any gruff either-which doesn't happen very often any ways. Plus boy can reach the top shelf which usually has more of the stock that I can't reach!

I personally have only seen bad behavior one time- a group of big ladies pushed a single lady down in the snow and took the cart that she was pushing in toward the store!:somad I was so upset that this kind of behavior was tolerated at all-- my family and I went and got the lady up and cleaned off and had her stick with us thru the store that day and she got hugs from everyone of us!(boy was she all squeezed up that day! :lol:) But we wanted her to know that not everyone was like that while shopping!
We also go out for a late lunch at a fancy sit down place in the after noon and usually the place is empty except for the 20 of us! The restaurants usually love seeing us coming! :weee
Then we usually hit the Target as their sales are all day long with more stock put out every so many hours. Then we drag ourselves home and eat leftover turkey! All the while trying to hide what ever it was that we bought.
I hate to say this but we are not in the habit of buying just junk any longer but stuff for the home and tool shed and stuff that is really needed. This year I am going to be on the look out for more of the crank flashlights for $3!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have never gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving in my whole life....nor would I even attempt it in an emergency.

The thought of all those herdlike people pushing through aisles and being rude to cashiers that are not moving quickly enough is just abhorrent to me. I can't imagine that this would be remotely enjoyable...I'd probably wind up smacking heads together sometime during the day.

There is no sale item on this Earth worth fighting through this type of behaviour.... :p

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
aggieterpkatie said:

We usually only go to one or two stores. We get there at 4, they open at 5, we rush (safely) and get what we need, then maybe go to the next store. We're usually back home and in PJs by 8 AM. It's great! We usually only buy what we were planning on getting anyways. This year there's only one thing I really want to get, and it's $25 marked down from $40. It's enough of a savings to make me want to wake up early. Plus, I've never experienced a mob. Lots of people in a hurry? Yes, but everyone has been orderly. This year we'll be in NC though, so hopefully those Southerners will behave. :lol:
NC ain't southern! And what's this "those southerners" hmmm? :lol: :p We party hardy down here! :gig Come down to Arkansas, Mississippi, or Texas if'n you wanna Black Friday mob. :lol:
Well, it's southern compared to MD! :lol: And I'm not looking for a mob! I'll stick to "up north" then. :p

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
urban dreamer said:
aggieterpkatie said:

Well, it's southern compared to MD! :lol: And I'm not looking for a mob! I'll stick to "up north" then. :p
Well, I guess! :p The Gulf of Mexico is southern to me!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I went once, it was by accident. I wasn't thinking about it being black friday. Never did I go again. I don't like shopping in the first place, except in hardware stores and bookstores.

I rarely go to the main stream stores. I mostly shop at the Goodwill outlet and then occasionally at local stores for stuff and maybe once or twice a year to the big chains for something I truly need and can't wait to get on sale elsewhere. If I had the money I would never shop at the big chains. Or I should say, when I did have money, I did not shop at the major chains.

I feel pretty well prepared for a long stretch of not being able to buy food stuff. Our biggest concern it water (we have a well and if there is no power, we have no water) our neighbors have city water though.
And my meds. I keep 2 weeks worth stashed away. But it is hard to get extra, since they don't let you get enough to keep an extra month supply. I skip my meds or take 1/2 dose one day a week in order to get my "stash". That way, even if I don't have the money to buy my meds, I have my backup, allowing me to find the money to get my meds. If I stop them suddenly I become seriously suicidal. But 2 weeks worth is enough to wean myself slowly and stay reasonable sane ;)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My mom and I love going out on Black Friday! I am thinking about the meat slicer that is on sale at JC Penny's for this year. I also want to stock up on some $5 tools for the boys for stocking stuffers.
Once Upon a Child had buy a $20 gift card get a $10 gift card free last year. I am hoping they do it again this year. That means I can get around 20 good and like new (sometimes even with the tags still on) outfits and pairs of shoes for my girls for $40! Plus I have a 20% off total purchase coupon.
I am also looking at the table saw at Lowe's for DH.
My mom and I like to go out to breakfast and then finish up our shopping, if we have anything left to get, and then head home.
We have never ran into big unruly mobs. Of course we stay away from Walmart, Toys R Us, and Target until later in the day or even avoid them all together.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We live North of Mansfield, which shares a border with Ontario. Ontario is where all the BIG box stores and restaurants are located in this county. The main North/South street through Ontario is Lexington-Springmill Rd. It is 4 lanes, and in some places 6 lanes wide. I avoid that road like the plague on Black Friday! The Wife and I have been known to drive completely around Ontario to avoid the traffic and the idiots in it.
You can't PAY me to go shopping that weekend!! I'll stay out in my deer stand and take my chances with Mother Nature, thankyouverymuch!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well if a LONG situation happened, meds would be very hard to come by I am sure

and those relying on it would perish or be weeded out by their actions if they happen to become violent or whatever.

in the end it will be dog eat dog if it came to a true situation where all commerce, be it food, prescriptions, etc were stopped.

oh no, man becoming uncivilized...could we all handle that?

Latest posts