framing fowl -daily living

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Been awhile again.

We finally got packed up and moved to ID. We're absolutely loving it here! Lots of like minded people.

Ordered 30 red broilers from Ideal. They arrived Friday. It's my first time doing meat chicks. So far, so good.

We're feeling pretty settled in here, making plans for the yard and garden for next year. We're not going to do anything on that front anymore this year. Our mistake at our last place was just jumping right in the middle of things without taking the proper time to observe and make a plan.

School starts in two weeks. I'll be going full-time. Excited and scared at the same time.
:frow hey pal! :frow

Can't wait to hear more of the continued adventures! School? I missed that one when I heard of your move - nothing like upending everything at once! LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Hi, FF!!

Glad you're all moved and there safe and sound!

Whoot!! on the broilers!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Haven't updated in awhile. We've been busy living life and getting settled in. We finished off the broilers. We were disappointed with the yields (only 80 lbs for 30 birds) but pleased with what we learned. For us, we won't do broilers again. EVER. If we do meat birds, we'll go with creepy meats.

We decided that it would be fun to have a heritage turkey for Thanksgiving so we found a place advertising live turkeys. However, when we got there, the ones that were being sold for Thanksgiving were gone but they were selling breeding groups. So for the same price as a table bird, we ended up buying 7 Royal Palms. We processed the 3 older hens and still have 1 young tom and 3 young hens. I love them. They're really full of personality! Our thanksgiving bird was delicious as well. The other two are awaiting smoking during Christmas break.

Then last week on CL we saw an ad for 4 free meat birds. We snatched them up in a hurry. The next day we saw an ad for 12 free laying hens so we snatched those up as well. They were in pretty rough shape because they'd been through a coon attack about a month ago. We have also found that a couple of them are egg eaters. So tomorrow, the meats & egg eaters are getting processed.

We were also mourning the loss of our hunting buddies in KY when hunting season rolled round here. So we called the local butpchers and game processors to see if anyone knew of hunters who enjoyed hunting but didn't want or need the meat. So far, we've been given two bucks for close to 120 lbs of free meat. Huge Blessing! Then my Dad called and said he'd gotten a buck for us as well so we'll pick that up over Christmas.

My new favorite way to make jerky is to take the venison burger, season it, and put it through the jerky attachment on my sausage gun. It makes the strips of formed meat. It's much easier to chew than marinating 1/4" thick pieces of cut roast like I used to do. It's also much more socially acceptable for a snack during class!

I enrolled in Freemotion's 12 week Foundations of Health class which has been really, really good. I have two more classes before we're done. I've taken an entire notepad worth of notes.

Week after next is already finals! First semester down! They also reworked the requirements for my program so my undergrad got shaved off by a semester so it's looking like I'll be done with MBA after just 4 years instead of 5.

I think that's about all the news round here for now. Hope all is well with you and yours.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hey Barred! Good to see you. How did your radio interview go?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Hey Barred! Good to see you. How did your radio interview go?
It hasn't happened yet, I am scheduled for the 11th

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
It's been awhile. I'm looking forward to getting to know the newer members and catching up with old friends.

I had changed careers and needed to go back to college so we were in Idaho for four years. Finished up two years ago and ended up in the Northen Neck area of Virginia.

We are thrilled to be in the country on 4+ acres instead of the 1/4 acres yards we had in KY and ID. We have chickens again. I started a garden this year. It's small and wasn't really in the plans for this summer but just kind of happened! I've also got blackberries and raspberries started.

We've been busy clearing brush and generally cleaning up. We've also been busy picking up some old equipment and getting it into running condition again.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks Mini Horses! Got the profile updated.

Have you been in Virginia awhile? We've been here almost two years. It's pretty similar weather/gardening wise to what we had in Kentucky so it wasn't a huge shock from Idaho.

I take it you have mini horses?