Free's kidding journal 2011: Plum's death wish p 42

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about goats, but I totally feel for you on the hurry up and wait thing. And the spiders. [shudders]

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
savingdogs said:
Isn't it weird the way you get itchy after seeing a spider even though none is on you?
I got itchy and I wasn't even there.....
I'm braver than most when it comes to many things.......but spiders.....that is a true phobia here! I can't even pick in my garden if I see a spider in there. The day is over. It gets difficult.

It is stinkin' cold out there, damp and windy. This horrible weather SHOULD bring it on, wouldn't you think? Her udder is shaping up nicely. The teats are still teensy, though. :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Moolie, you will be getting goats eventually. You know you will. You feel the irresistible pull already, dontcha.... :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Moolie, you will be getting goats eventually. You know you will. You feel the irresistible pull already, dontcha.... :D
Lol, I totally do, I just can't yet--we can't even have chickens in my city. :rolleyes:

But we have a 10-year plan that will see us moving to a more rural property once the kids are through with high school and university. Then we plan for chickens, ducks, geese, bees, a goat or few and as time goes on perhaps sheep and pigs. Just gotta get this house paid off and stay in it while the kids go to school so we/they don't have to pay room and board.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Free has a way of making things happen faster than you though they might, trust me.... ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol, I think I've read evidence of that around here somewhere...

We'd like the plan to proceed faster, but we just can't afford to pull up and move for at least 5-6 years and we'd like to have more saved than that. Hubbie has a techie job so needs a city till we are done with the mortgage, and will soon start night school to do accounting. We figure that accountants are more useful in small towns than what he does now, so that plus me breaking back into teaching by subbing should get us through the transition. Then we will figure out what we need to live on and can adjust accordingly.

But who knows, the best laid plans and all that usually explode somewhere in the middle and one needs to start over from scratch...

All I know is that the most livestock we'd get away with here in the 'burbs is a beehive.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The teats are still teensy, though. :/
:frow Hope that turns around for ya soon....I'd HATE to have someone join me in the despair of milking the teeny teated doe...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
To amuse myself, I took pics of my baby goat coats that I made on my treadle machine while I was recuperating from my back injury and preparing for cold weather kidding....hey, maybe that is why Ginger is holding out....I'm ready! Sheesh! What was I thinking!

I made 7 of these little coats from bits of fleece material I already had. All are made with two layers. I used velcro from the dollar bin or stuff I had from other projects.

I used longish strips of velcro to make them adjustable for various size/age babies. The one I made last year was all black, so it was hard to photograph. I like the fleece material for this because you don't have to finish the edges...they won't unravel. The design is very simple. I make the belly band thick for added warmth, and set it very forward to accommodate the buckling's weiners.

Here is the finished coat:

goatcoatfinished.jpg

Here is the outside view, laid out flat:

goatcoatoutside.jpg

See my toes? :p Here is the inside view, the lining:

goatcoatlining.jpg

Hopefully you will get to see the coats in action VERRRRRY soon! Go, Ginger!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I hung the camera on the doorknob last night before going to bed and took these two pics with a flash, by the faint light of the heat lamp in the corner.

Ginger showing me where she expects me to scratch....right now, darn it!

Ginormous4AM4-5-11.jpg

Her baby bump:

Gingersbabybump4AM.jpg