Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and I have been looking at hurricane shelters. Crazy??? Maybe not! My biggest issue living here is hurricanes. Everything else I can tolerate. I pretty much refuse to evacuate for anything but maybe a Cat 4 or 5 because the evacuation itself is horriffic. Plus, I have a couple of critters. After the evacuation - getting home is pretty rough too. So, I'd like to stay - but I'd like not to have a house fall down on me or have the roof sucked off and be subject to all that drama. I'm thinking a pre-cast concrete type of bunker buried in the back yard to ride out the storm. Any crappy aftermath can be dealt with even if it means pitching a tent, lol. There are some that aren't as crazy expensive as I thought they might be. I saw one offered by Lowes that could probably be bought and installed for less than 4K. This season is quickly making a believer out of me.... Just in the "thinking about it" stage right now - but I'm going to think about it pretty seriously.

DH's car has a problem...a recurring problem with the whole mother board computer thing. This is at least the 2nd time, maybe third that it's gone out. Thankfully it's still under warranty, but warranty is out in late Sept. We're actually tossing around trading it in and getting something that won't be as expensive to maintain. His car is a Volvo and we spent way too much money on it, but we got it after his accident and I felt sorry for him so gave in to what he wanted. I don't want to maintain that car and pay full price for Swedish made parts! ARGH! That may be another big expense. If we do make a change I'll pay cash for the difference between his trade-in and whatever he ends up with. For sure it'll be pre-owned. But, haven't made that decision yet either. He's supposed to talk to the Volvo service dept and find out how much it would be if we have to lay cash out for another mother board eventually. Might be that it's cheaper to replace it every couple years than to buy a new car. Lots to think about. The car still runs, but all the accessories are messed up - like his cruse control, the blind side indicators...basically all the safety gear which is what he really needs!

We've been under a heat advisory today. :mad:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would this "shelter" be totally underground?? I'm thinking if concrete maybe not? I know there are concrete "panels" made that were designed for basement/foundation walls....probably is something like that. Then there's the ventilation, etc. Big decision.

The car sounds easier. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After lots of research I've sent off for information on shipping prices on this one:

They weigh 24,000 pounds so I can't imagine that it would be cheap coming here from Illinois. Yikes! But, I thought I'd just check it out anyway.

I told someone that I should just go ahead and spend my kids inheritance, lol. And, hey - when we get too old to climb stairs it could be our extra bedroom, lol! :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if it is underground then you have to worry about being flooded right? i would instead look to reinforce a room in the house.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The one I posted the link to is not underground. :)

We get a lot of rain, but we don't flood here - we just get really muddy and soggy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's some.

Time for another car. That Volvo sounds like it will be a moneypit.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I looked at the site. Pretty cool! And above ground, :lol:

I immediately thought "below" because, you know in OZ they went into the basement. o_O The price isn't bad either. The one that was added to the house was neat.

Latest posts