Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beau and Cowboy sound cute, that Cowboy is one in a million dogs!

Watching news this morning, it looks like you will not be on the dirty side of the hurricane. So there is a bright spot.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beau and Cowboy sound cute, that Cowboy is one in a million dogs!

Watching news this morning, it looks like you will not be on the dirty side of the hurricane. So there is a bright spot.
He really is unlike any other dog I've ever had the pleasure of co-existing with. Love that boy!

Laura - what a witch! It keeps inching it's way west with the last couple reports I heard - but still east of us so that is the good news of the day. But, not breathing a sigh of relief yet...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supposed to hit as a Cat 3, possibly a Cat 4. Hunker down! We are supposed to get 3-5" of rain and winds up to 75 MPH. I'll take care of animals tomorrow real good, supposed to hit here 1 AM Thursday. I think we will be ok.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now -- memory again? Did I miss something? Another? Hmmm.......
After I lost Gracie I went a little nutso emailing breeders and begging desperately to be put on their waiting list. The man in Arkansas was the first to respond. He knew I wanted a female, but he had 15 people on a waiting list for females and only 1 other person for males. His litter was two females and 3 males so I got first pick of males because the other person wanting a male didn't send their deposit in time. That's how I got Beau.

Then I got another response from a person who has a full-sister (actual litermate) of Gracie in the valley area of Texas - by the Mexican border. Her dog hasn't even been in heat yet, but she put me on her waiting list.

Soon after that I got a response from a woman who had a litter with more females than males so she had an available female pup. She asked if I was still interested. Already being on the other waiting list for the puppy from the Valley I struggled with that decision. But, I was being offered a puppy that was on the ground and just waiting for me to send a deposit.

The bitch who is full sister to Gracie (in the Valley) hasn't even been in heat, obviously wasn't even pregnant yet and no guarantees that she would even have a live litter or have a female for me. So, I sent in my deposit for the female that is already alive and well. She'll be ready in mid-September!

What will I do when/if the people in the Valley have pups? Hmmmmm - it'd be hard to turn down a pup out of Gracie's sister. Will I end up with three English Shepherds before all this is said and done? I dunno....but I won't rule it out, lol.

Supposed to hit as a Cat 3, possibly a Cat 4. Hunker down! We are supposed to get 3-5" of rain and winds up to 75 MPH. I'll take care of animals tomorrow real good, supposed to hit here 1 AM Thursday. I think we will be ok.
This storm is totally pissing me off, lol! A few last minute things to do tomorrow and then all that will be left is to bake the brownies! (and might need more wine) We are under a Tropical Storm warning and will get at least that category of effects. Hurricane warnings are right up to our neighboring county.

However - if it moves in a more westerly direction we might be screwed...:(

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you REALLY have to ponder on a decision on whether or not to get a puppy from the breeder in The Valley, should they have pups? And you toss it out to the biggest group of enablers on the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :love :gig:gig

I guess you know my answer.

YES! Get the other puppy should she become available!

Hurricane-I hope you dodge this one. The news is all about the clogged highways in east Texas of people trying to find an hotel room. None of the towns are opening up schools, churches or shelters because of Covid.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The news just said that Hurricane Ike hit land as a Cat 2 and Laura is expected to hit land as a Cat 4. Ike did LOTS of damage, so this ought to be a doozy. Hunker down, I hope it misses you. News is expecting trees down, power off. Great. With no AC, this place is miserable. Can't stay in this mobile home, but we may have to anyway, the hotels are all full. Maybe the trees won't fall on the lines to our neighborhood.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope you do ok @baymule! Crazy that living so far inland you need to worry about a hurricane!

Do you REALLY have to ponder on a decision on whether or not to get a puppy from the breeder in The Valley, should they have pups?

LOL - nope! I think it's a done deal. But, their dog still hasn't gone in heat (or they haven't notified those of us on the list). Makes me even happier that I'm locked in on the pup I'm getting in a few weeks. BTW - this next pup is coming from Woodlake, TX. Not far from your old stomping grounds.

Forecasters finally seem more confident that the storm will stick to the predicted path. That's somewhat reassuring except for all the exceptions to the path that have happened in the past, lol. We may still get 50 - 60mph wind gusts. We are on the good side of the storm so we aren't in the area that gets tornadoes generated by the storm. All in all - if it holds the course - we may be inconvenienced but not devastated. Glad about that.

I will need to move the bucks. They have a hoop house covered with a tarp for a shelter. That might not be substantial enough for this event. On second thought, I'll move some does and then open the gate to let the bucks into that area. At least I won't have to touch their stinky butts to move them. Conan literally reeks!

Gotta get to milking and moving my butt, lol!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What will I do when/if the people in the Valley have pups? Hmmmmm - it'd be hard to turn down a pup out of Gracie's sister. Will I end up with three English Shepherds before all this is said and done? I dunno....but I won't rule it out, lol.
Do you REALLY have to ponder on a decision on whether or not to get a puppy from the breeder in The Valley, should they have pups? And you toss it out to the biggest group of enablers on the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :love :gig:gig

I guess you know my answer.

Yeah -- I see raising English Shepherds & goats in your future. 😁 By the time everyone grows up and breeds, hey -- I may be actually retired & ready for a pup.

So -- what color is this new female?

Ahhhh...Laura!! Seems to be a nasty one coming in. I know you are as ready as can be so, bake those brownies! Seems we may get some rains from the system in a few days.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
By the time everyone grows up and breeds, hey -- I may be actually retired & ready for a pup.
I think I can say that you would never, ever regret owning (or being owned by) one of these dogs. High energy - but with an off switch. They live to serve and help. This morning there was a rooster in the back yard and Beau keyed in on my clumsy attempts to move the roo out of the yard. At just over 10 weeks he was joining in on the chicken herding. Little guy did really well and backed off when I told him to. Crazy smart dogs!

Milking done and goats moved. Stuff picked up and fastened down. Boiled some eggs yesterday so I'm about to make whip up some deviled eggs for a quick grab and go snack. Yum. Brownies to come later today. We've had a couple small showers already and it's a bit breezy. Makes working outside more comfortable than usual.