Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hmm.... i thought that was true too, but google says alcohol stops the liver from releasing glycogen so T1 and T2 on insulin can get hypoglycemic. But the liver can turn alcohol into ketones so those on nutritional ketogenic diet can have some alcohol, but being in ketosis reduces alcohol tolerance.

Wow, thats already more than I ever knew. I've never gotten drunk, so never bothered looking it up. Thanks for making me curious. I'm more confused now than when I started looking into it! 🤣

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So I looked up a more medical article and I'm not sure it can make ketones. IDK I'm in over my head now. 🤣

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Say it ain't so..... :(

it actually may not be true, but somewhere i learned that and now i'm trying to figure out where. :) so perhaps you are safe after all. haha...

ok, i'm pretty sure that i got into this by studying metabolic syndrome. how a person handles alcohol genetically can vary as does their abilities to handle sugars and fats and the liver does all these things in conjunction with other organs like the pancreas and the gut and gut microbes.

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
sadly, no alcoholic drink is carb free. liver metabolizes alcohol into sugars.
Carb free? Many spirits are very low carb and just fine for those counting carbs. The stuff you mix for cocktails is bad. Been doing this for a long time and have the numbers to personally back it up

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WHEW!!!!! ;)

Now that we've got that all sorted out I can breathe again, lol!

Down two pounds in two days. I'll take it. Actually, I'd be satisfied with a drop of any kind, lol. Slow and steady and all that...

Woke up to rain again. We've had rain probably 3 of the last 5 days and I'm quite over it! I've got stuff to do outside and it's ugly miserable when you're tromping through ankle deep mud in too many places. But, it's better than my friend in the north who got 20 inches of the white stuff!

Plan today is to grind a brisket so DH will have a supply of ground beef - his favorite food in the world...:hu I just don't get it - I could think of a gazillion things that I'd prefer over ground beef - but it's his thing so I go along with it. After all, it could be a lot worse, lol.

I haven't canned ground beef before, but I know it's done. Wonder if I should give it a try? I have canned soup with ground beef as a base and that was really good. Wonder if I could do taco flavored meat? I need to look that up - but honestly - it's not that hard to grab a lb of meat outta the freezer and just throw it into a pan frozen. Gonna research a bit.

Guess it'll bee a kitchen day today. Needs to be a laundry day too... ick. I hate being stuck inside, lol. I'd rather build a fence than do housework!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry to have kicked off that worry for sure! :)

for general weight loss i think those things which help a person permanently change their eating and exercise habits are those which will help over the longer term. for me the one that has been hard for me to adopt is not eating after the last meal. so no evening snacking or drinking of anything at all other than water or calorie free herbal teas. this is related to the metabolic syndrome in that the liver can use a break in how it metabolizes sugars and fats and if you are never giving it a long enough break between meals to switch over from one type of body energy production for another. this is where the keto stuff is coming from too.

if you include a higher fiber content in the last meal of the day that also helps you feel full longer and it often helps in other ways too (gut health, evening out blood sugar levels, reduces calorie consumption...).

the next morning when i get going if i eat too many carbs then it sets me up for a mid day crash. if i eat a better morning diet then i can avoid the crash and feel a heck of a lot better and more alert.