Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What she ^ said! I've had really tart ones and really sweet ones. When I bought this bush I wanted to be sure it was a tasty one and it is. I peel off the skin with my teeth and eat that first, then I chew the pulp and spit out the seeds. It is definitely citrus and produces without another bush as a pollinator. It will provide a smattering of fruits almost all year long, but with the bulk of the harvest coming this time of year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i love tart and sweet so they sound like something i'd really enjoy eating. :)

now i need to look into them more for here. ah, i see they won't likely survive in our area. :( sounds like a wonderful plant though being evergreen and bushy would be nice for here and having some fruits always appreciated. just can't do it though. we can get down to -20F (or worse) here at times and not just short spells but for days at a time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew...been awhile!

I turned the kumquats into some really tasty marmalade. I only know that because I tasted it as I was getting it ready to be canned. Haven't opened any of the jars because...well...it's not very sugar free. At all, lol!

We've been busy doing not enough. Story of my life! We've had some really gusty winds recently and one gust caught the front storm door and slammed it open so hard it nearly ripped the trim board that it's mounted to right off of the house! DH tried adding some extra screws but the board wouldn't suck back down flush to the house. There was literally a gap of at least an inch between the board and the house. So, he had to take all the screws out and take a beater board and use that to hammer against the trim board to get it pushed back up. Finally got it back where it belonged and was able to add the screws back and hope it doesn't happen again. Geeze!

I took advantage of the really nice weather we had for the last couple of days and started putting cardboard, feed bags and wood chips down in the garden. I thought I'd start while I could and hopefully every time it dries up enough I can do a bit more.

Weather is awful right now - we've had 3/4 of an inch of rain in a couple of hours. Of course, I got caught outside in it and got soaked to the bone. I had a sow that was close to delivery so I put her in the trailer for safekeeping. She delivered today and it immediately started storming. Sooooo, I had to try and lure a mama pig who wasn't quite finished with her baby business out of the trailer and into a stall. She wasn't loving it...she wanted to keep going back to the trailer where she'd given birth. How many times did it take me luring her out of the trailer and her jumping back in before I had the brilliant idea of shutting the trailer door to keep her out, lol? After that she reluctantly followed the feed bucket to the stall that I had already moved her babies into. Pigs! And, yea...like I needed any more.

Don't really feel like doing any major cooking tonight, but wanted comfort food. I opened a jar of the brisket chunks that I canned recently, a jar of green beans from this springs garden, a jar of carrots and a jar of potatoes (all home-canned) and it's about to call itself beef stew. I know, not exactly low carb but I've been working hard and I want same stew!

With our forecast for tonight and tomorrow I think I can safely say that tomorrow will be an inside day - very likely a kitchen day. I've got some onions I want to dehydrate and some potatoes to can. Potatoes aren't something we eat a lot of around here, but these were on sale for $1.50 a bag. Couldn't resist - and besides my kids and grands love potatoes - especially hash browns for breakfast. These ought to work well for that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thankfully, I was able to get out this morning and feed, haul some hay to the critters, move the mama pig AGAIN and unload feed before the rains came. Oh boy! An absolute deluge....just what we needed, lol.

I got the dehydrator loaded with some onions and my house reeks. Argh - I even have the dehydrator out in the breezeway. Maybe I should move it to the garage...

Next step is to get some potatoes in the canner. Then I'm going to sit down with my guilty pleasure (a diet root beer) and a book. Hopefully I can get that done before it's time to feed again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rained yesterday and today. Yesterday I made pot stickers, froze half of them. Today I made orange chicken , we killed ourselves on it. So good!

Yes, we go outside in the rain and cold to care for our animals. We ain't got a lick of sense...... :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That orange chicken sounds delish! Some years back we had a wonderful little hole-in-the-wall chinese restaurant just a block or so from the college. It was one of our regular lunch spots. Oh my - their orange chicken was divine! Wish they were still there...

Thursday I managed to get caught in the barn for almost an hour. It's LOUD in there when it's raining hard! Goats kept giving me the evil eye wondering why I was hanging around in their space for so long, lol. They got over it!

Waiting on a plumber this morning to change out the kitchen faucet. Annoying that this is a job we previously would have done ourselves. Between DH's eyesight and both of having hand issues - we called 'the gnome." He's about 75 years old and an itty bitty guy who can get under the cabinets with ease, lol. We were kind of surprised that he wanted to come today. Some folks think this is a holiday, lol. Whoops he's here - almost 20 minutes early!