Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up to absolutely gorgeous weather! Low 60's right now and our high will be in the low 70's. Clear blue beautiful skies and a breeze. Gonna get cooler tonight. I've got to start thinking about sourcing some more hay. Just don't feel comfortable with only 6 bales at this point. I'd like to get at least 3 more.

It's so pretty outside that I want, want, want to be outside doing something, but I need to finish up the canning that I started yesterday. And, I'd like it to dry up some more. :fl

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How is your DH this morning? Bless that man, what he has to go through..... I wish only the very best for you both.

Congrats on all the canning. Before my world fell apart, I had bought 8 bags of chicken leg quarters for the dogs. I think I still have 4 bags in the freezer. I need to get them canned too. Heck, I dunno.

Beautiful weather here too today. Got a couple coming from Huntsville to get the chick brooder. :weee
I didn't like it anyway, I like using horse water tubs with pine shavings and a screen over the top. Another big chunk will be gone! It is 3 boxes with a roller base, we got it for $100 at an estate sale and I'm getting $300. One section costs $370, plus I got the roller base, so the buyer is getting a good deal too. LOL LOL

Getting rid of stuff so I don't have to MOVE IT!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is doing well! The latest procedure was a bit more extensive than the one a week ago but he's doing well. He really is a tough ol' guy, lol. He cooked dinner last night and he even cleaned up. He supposed to keep moving to facilitate recovery. I swear he ran a marathon last night. His neuropathy was acting up and his legs were jumping all night long. I asked him this morning if he was tired, lol. Then I suggested he attach a pedometer to his legs tonight to see how many miles he does in his sleep! :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You guys -- more reminders and work! I have several Boston butts in my freezer...$.99 a pound! They are on sale again, same price.....never gave a thought to canning it. 🤔 just didn't cross my mind....set it right next to my canned chicken! :thSame with potatoes. I've canned them before, have a lot of sweets canned. So grab on sale and can. Used to can them when I harvested. Guess I'm getting slack. I know I liked having the ready to eat! AND. Need to shop my pantry rather than the store!

I freeze my butter. Never had ghee, just looked at it! Well, correct that ... Have made and used for shrimp. I made it by mistake! 😁🤪 I've made goat milk butter but wasn't as tasty as cow milk butter....which I love fresh made! I need to buy a couple gal of fresh cow milk......somewhere!

It's about time....need more time home on the farm! This Spring I'm cutting back work. Not quitting but, paid off tractor, bought one of two wanted implements, and will slow that portion of life. A big garden, more canning, more milking...and the dreaded chicken butcher day...:lol: looking for a willing bad day helper!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - our sale price on pork was .99 a lb previously. Not anymore and I felt lucky to get these at 1.97. We don't eat a LOT of potatoes which is why I can some. They were on sale this week so... I can't keep them fresh long enough to eat them up and nothing smells worse than a rotten potato (except maybe a rotten egg)! Butter on sale too... I do freeze it and will continue to -but I wanted the other option too.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get outside to start some projects that were put off during the summer.

It's about time....need more time home on the farm!
Yes ma'am! I hope you can cut back and spend more time doing home work!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! I got dirt under my fingernails today. I know I'm technically a little late - but I put some little taters in the ground. They were sprouting already so I decided to give 'em what they wanted. Finally found my sprouting seeds. They've been hiding in the garage all summer. Hope the heat didn't kill 'em. :fl I'm going to finally get to set up my trays in hopes that I can get some micro greens. Dunno how that'll work out, but if they don't sprout I need to get busy and order some new ones so I'll have 'em around. And maybe I can finally open my bucket o' wheat and try sprouting some of that too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey y’all- it’s been a minute since I posted. Been busy trying to keep DH alive. Close to a month ago his doc prescribed a new drug for him called Farxiga. If you know anyone who is on it please tell them to run away from that drug! If you care to look up the side effects you might get an idea of what we’ve been dealing with. If you are a guy you might notice one side effect in particular that makes you cringe. That particular side effect has been the most prominent and life threatening. I was told last week that he might not make it home.

It’s been the worst thing we’ve ever gone through. Worse than his cardiac bypass, worse than his eye surgeries, worse than diabetic ketoacidosis, worse than car and motorcycle wrecks…

He ended up becoming septic from the infection that set in. His liver, kidneys, lungs and heart have all shown at least some of the negative effects. Hopefully they right themselves.

He has been receiving a triple antibiotic cocktail that is supposed to be the strongest weapon against MRSA an necrotizing fasciitis. Than goodness the cocktail is finally working.

We started at an ER last Monday and we’re given oral antibiotics and sent home. 😡. In the wee hours of the following morning he tried to get out of bed and couldn’t support himself. Called 911 and were transported to a smallish (but associated with a large hospital group) ER.

On the 3rd day there they sent us to a large teaching hospital in Galveston where we’ve been for the last 6 days.

He’s still very sick, but finally got out of bed yesterday so at least his attitude is better.

We’re hoping for release by the end of the week.

This hospital is nearly an hour from home so I leave there after he’s had lunch, rush home and tend the animals, shower and rush back to the hospital. My poor critters- especially the dogs.

To say I’m exhausted would be the understatement of the century, but it’s all worth it to be able to get him home.

Right now we’re on the 11th floor in a hospital along the Gulf of Mexico under a tornado watch! Nothing but excitement!

Last edited: