Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How awful to have to go through this bad reaction to "medicine" that is supposed to help him. What an ordeal, I hope y'all get to go home soon. This was too close for comfort.

AstraZeneca faces a growing number of product liability lawsuits over the side effects of Farxiga, indicating that the diabetes drug caused plaintiffs to suffer a serious and potentially life-threatening, flesh-eating infection that attacks the groin and genitals.

RARE side effects​

If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression​

• A Systemic Inflammatory Response Called Sepsis Due To An Infection With Bacteria
  • Cancer Of The Bladder
  • A Complication Of Diabetes With High Blood Ketone Levels Called Diabetic Ketoacidosis
  • A Metabolic Condition Where The Body Cannot Adequately Use Sugars Called Ketoacidosis
  • Excess Body Acid
  • Acute Kidney Failure
  • Pyelonephritis, Infection And Inflammation Of The Kidney And Renal Pelvis
  • Decreased Kidney Function
  • A Broken Bone
  • A Type Of Allergic Reaction Called Angioedema
  • A Hypersensitivity Reaction To A Drug
  • Pancreatitis
  • Urosepsis, A Bacterial Infection Originating From The Urinary Tract
  • Necrotizing Fasciitis, A Condition Where Deep Tissues Die In The Area Of The Genitals To The Anus

A broken bone? WTH Gee, did Farxiga throw everything at your DH except a broken bone? The drug company knows this poison pill does this to people, but gets FDA approval? Corruption. :somad

i don't consider it corruption if it is an actual rare side effect, but if they played any games or bribed people to get this approved then of course that should be an issue for sure.

what bugs me is that as a rare side effect the doctor who prescribed it should have been aware of those and provided that information to @frustratedearthmother and DH so they could have known what to look for if he had that sort of reaction. since i don't know the details of any of that i can't say anything else other than i'm glad they caught it in time.

from reading FEM's description of DH's history there is a large list of complications with DH there and any medications he uses may have interactions with other medications that may not be found during the approval or study processes simply because it is a large number when you look at the combinations. his reaction will get reported back to the drug maker and his doctor who prescribed it will get dinged too i'm sure (if he hasn't been already).

with sepsis if you are unlucky the bacterial strain infecting your body and organs can release even more toxins when the anti-biotics kick in. my nephew didn't make it when he was treated by large doses to clear his system out when he had a complication and then infection from a sprained ankle (which may have actually been broken but i don't know those exact details) - he was a relatively healthy guy and no medications or diabetes or recent surgeries to make things difficult - he just didn't know and didn't get into the ER until it was too late.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are showing the tornadoes striking Houston, along the coast to Beaumont/Orange and into Louisiana, on the news. No report of tornadoes hitting Galveston, so I'm guessing y'all are ok.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beautiful weather here. 😁

Farxiga is a drug that has supposedly helped multitudes of folks, but my own personal position is that it’s evil. I may be a little bit biased.

DH has co-morbidities but the side effects of this drug can manifest if you have few other problems or tons of problems. In this case there doesn’t appear to be any issues with interactions with other drugs. I don’t believe the prescribing doctor is held liable. Pharmacists are also responsible for explaining side-effects and watching for drug interactions.

He’s doing well again today and has been taken off all IV antibiotics and has transitioned to oral meds. I can only imagine we’re getting close to discharge. 🤞

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are HOME! We got home about 8:30 last night. It was a really long day. I think DH has his days and nights mixed up now because we were up all night last night doing potty runs. Literally - every 1.5 hours.

I spent a while this morning cross-referencing his hospital meds and his home meds and getting them all doled out into his pill containers. Geeze louise - what a job!

Also doing a different diabetic protocol where he actually counts carbs, logs them into his pump and gets the precise dose of insulin he needs for a bolus - instead of just guessing - which is what he's been doing. AND, I learned a whole bunch of specifics about running his pump and his sensor so he can't get away with being sneaky anymore, lol. He's very compliant right now, but give it a couple weeks when he's feeling better and wants to go back to his old ways. Nope!

Got outside for a little while today. Temps were nice, but the wind is still pretty rough. As evidence that our winds were bad - we have a tree that's (almost) down in the backyard. It is a pine that we planted some time back and it simply uprooted. Oh yay! It's only partway down. So, now I have to deal with that. I'm afraid it will fall the rest of the way down on one of the dogs - or me. And yes - I was silly enough to walk under it a couple of times this morning but when the wind picked back up I decided that wasn't a good idea and have created a path around the stupid tree.

I got the ducks out of their baby pen and moved them to one of the garden areas and put the 5 youngish pullets in the barnyard area. Need to pick out a few more goats to put on the sale list and actually DO it. Procrastination...ugh.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We are HOME! We got home about 8:30 last night. It was a really long day. I think DH has his days and nights mixed up now because we were up all night last night doing potty runs. Literally - every 1.5 hours.

I spent a while this morning cross-referencing his hospital meds and his home meds and getting them all doled out into his pill containers. Geeze louise - what a job!

Also doing a different diabetic protocol where he actually counts carbs, logs them into his pump and gets the precise dose of insulin he needs for a bolus - instead of just guessing - which is what he's been doing. AND, I learned a whole bunch of specifics about running his pump and his sensor so he can't get away with being sneaky anymore, lol. He's very compliant right now, but give it a couple weeks when he's feeling better and wants to go back to his old ways. Nope!

Got outside for a little while today. Temps were nice, but the wind is still pretty rough. As evidence that our winds were bad - we have a tree that's (almost) down in the backyard. It is a pine that we planted some time back and it simply uprooted. Oh yay! It's only partway down. So, now I have to deal with that. I'm afraid it will fall the rest of the way down on one of the dogs - or me. And yes - I as silly enough to walk under it a couple of times this morning but when the wind picked back up I decided that wasn't a good idea and have created a path around the stupid tree.

I got the ducks out of their baby pen and moved them to one of the garden areas and put the 5 youngish pullets in the barnyard area. Need to pick out a few more goats to put on the sale list and actually DO it. Procrastination...ugh.
:weee
Best news ever! I'm so relieved for you and your DH!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear he's home!
Me too! He's slowly getting stronger but still needs help getting off the couch. That means every time he needs to go to the bathroom or just get up and move I have to help him. He's currently 244 lbs - thankfully down 11 lbs after 11 days. But, that's still a chunk of weight for me to move. Thank goodness for Motrin.

He's currently watching the UT football game so I know he'll at least be alert for several hours. Since we've been home we've only adhered to a schedule for his meds and meals. Any other time is fair game for a nap, lol.

Unfortunately not too much time for SS right now, but I believe in another few days I can be outside. I plan to harvest some quail tomorrow. They're fast and easy so I can do it without any special set-up. Just a sharp pair of shears, a couple of bowls for guts and clean carcasses, and a trash bag. Easy-peasy!

Latest posts