Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cooked a big turkey breast and LOTS of go withs....so some sandwiches, a pot pie, potato latkes, and so on. 😁 good amount of heat up meals this week. Nice since I'm working on put-off farm projects all week but can still eat well.

Rain here mid week. I'll need an inside day! :lol: You probably needed yours.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll spend a couple days being creative with the turkey - then any leftovers will get vac packed and frozen for awhile. Then I'll thaw it out and start over, lol. A turkey sammich sounds pretty good right now though. Got the morning feeding done but need to go back out in a few to move the horses around.

Got all the does CDT shots done but now I need to check eye membranes. Want to make sure everybody is in good shape before kidding. I'm noticing udders growing every day. It's getting real (!) and we'll have babies soon! Hope Frankie throws a bunch of ugly babies so there'll be no temptation to keep any, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You know the ugly ones need to stay to be sure they're treated well! :lol:
I guess, lol.

Sold 4 hogs this morning! Yay - 4 less mouths to feed is a good thing. Those hogs will be combined with venison to make some very tasty sausage.

I've been spending lots of time outside and loving it. Garden is taking priority and I enjoy it so why not? I've been guilty of not doing a lot for a fall/winter garden most years but this year I'm trying to take advantage of this crazy mild weather. Not complaining for sure!

I need to decide what to do with some of these extra ducks I have. I'm finally able to sex the Khaki Campbells. I have two males and one female - of course! Of the 8 Pekins I have - I'm beginning to think they are ALL hens. All of them! I don't need 8...wonder if they'll sell well or if I need to learn to butcher ducks?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many pigs are left? 🤔 do you still have a boar? I haven't gone back to them yet but always pushing the ever recurring thought to back burner. :hide

I'm thinking about putting some beet seeds in a container, seeing I they sprout themselves very early spring. They need cold before sprout....a test try. There are several seeds that can do that! Those volunteer tomato plants in old pig lot sure were from seeds that were there all winter. :idunno

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picking pekin ducks was not fun. I studied the "windows" for slaughter when supposedly it was "easy" to pick the feathers. Read that PINFEATHERS and millions of them. Needlenose pliers were my friend. Ducks, dead or alive were not my friend. maybe if they had been fully mature, like a year old, there might not have been so many pinfeathers. But i don't think I could have stood them for a year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I watched a friend pluck a duck… he had three to butcher and after the first one he went eh… I guess I’ll just keep them as egg layers because this sucks 😂 I would skin them, but apparently that suggestion offends people who are better cooks than me🤣