Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Six pigs left - no boars. Kind of over pigs right now since I have less useable property. I'm no longer using the neighbors acreage so I've had to do some serious re-arranging and cutting back. The goats for all intents and purposes, are dry lotted now. (except there's nothing dry about the lot they're on, lol) The pigs are harder on the land when they don't have as much room to spread out - so they are the obvious critter to phase out. My freezer is full of pork and I'll probably butcher a couple more for myself before I attempt to sell the rest. Or, when I have less I might let a few stay. Who knows?

I've heard nightmares about plucking ducks. I have an electric plucker but I don't know if that'll make it easier for ducks or not. It works great on chickens! I guess I could always skin 'em, but dang, the best part of a duck is the crispy skin, or so I hear. I also read that there are certain windows of time that make them easier (or less horriffic) to pluck. I'll definitely keep the Khaki Campbells for eggs, but also some of the Pekins too. I kind of enjoy their nutty selves. But, I don't need 11 ducks. Oh, wait, I have 13 ducks counting the two that wandered up a couple years ago. I wonder if baby ducks would sell well? Or duck eggs?

Less than a month now until the first kids could arrive. Yikes! Picked up some shavings the other day so we can get some clean kidding areas. Hope our mild weather continues. If not, I'm gonna feel real bad about having planned for such early kidding. Generally, even with our worst Jan/Feb weather it's not nearly as bad as other more northern areas. (Except for last Feb when we reached a low of 11ish) Geeze! Don't want a repeat of that! Thankfully last year we weren't kidding that early.

DH is doing pretty well all things considered. He's still working on getting his stamina back, but he's getting there! I routinely come up with requests that involve him stepping outside of the house, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah, don't skin the ducks. Suck it up and pick the stinkers. Don't season them while cooking either. Prick the skin with a fork so the fat can cook out, making the skin crispy. Chill the fat and juices so you can get the fat off the top. Use the fat in cooking, it is wonderful-BUT not so wonderful that I want durned ducks again!

Maybe when you are out of pigs and out of pork, a feeder pig might be in order for you. But I imagine that is awhile down the road.

Glad your husband is getting better, that was a close call, way too close for comfort. It does take awhile to get stamina back, but he will with your care.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Suck it up and pick the stinkers.
Maaaaaybe, lol. Not in a hurry to do any. I need them!

Right now, the ducks and chickens are being locked into one of the garden areas during the day. I spread their feed very thinly up and down the rows and they go up and down the same rows scratching and gouging it out of the dirt. Yay for tiny, feathered fertilizer spreaders and tillers!

I've been considering butchering more quail because the slackers haven't been laying. I've got them under lights, have been feeding them greens and eggshells and threatening them every time I give them more of their expensive feed. I have noticed mating behavior for a few days and this morning I finally got an egg! Yay quail! Hopefully by next week I'll be griping about all those eggs.

Yep, DH's issue was scary. I flat out asked the doc if he was going to make it. When the doc won't look you in the eye and say yes... :( He really is a strong old fart!

Going outside to plant carrots!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got started cleaning out that last raised bed finally. It’s muggy and yuck but its definitely better than rain or snow!

Yesterday wasn't the best day. AC window unit in the bedroom died in the wee hours of the morning. It was barely 3 months old. Ugh. It’s now been replaced. Dishwasher also decided it was tired. Barely 7 months old. Repairman scheduled for Monday. The Maytag repairman won’t be lonely then, lol.

Saw something I don’t see often hanging out under one of the sheds.
3C27E614-8AF6-416B-BA7F-E6035D06C095.jpeg

It’s not crazy wild because it didn’t fly away when all its other feathered friends did. I put out some food and water in case it doesn’t know how to get those on its own. It can fly some but it’s not interested in going very far at this point. It also has a little blood on its beak. Hope it hangs around- I doubt it’s capable of caring for itself.

Break over - back to work.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Monk parakeets live wild in Houston, maybe there is a chance this one will survive. It is not a Monk parakeet, but hopefully it will make it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are huge flocks of the Monk/Quaker parakeets around Kemah that we've seen several times. This little one is definitely not part of a flock. Looks young to me. It had very short tail feathers and is a very clumsy flier and a bit of a bloody beak. Maybe it flew into a window or something during its escape. Who knows? It's raining this morning so I hope it found some shelter. :fl

Last edited: