Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of muzzle training for every dog.

we've never had a dog that bites or even growls. my sister had two siblings that fought a lot and she eventually had to have one put down because they bit her badly when she tried to stop them fighting. i didn't like them because they were so touchy to be around, they'd get jealous over minor things and start trouble. i was like, the heck with this i don't need this kind of stress.

when the dogs were young and before she got them they were not treated well and were abused. :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those muzzles are outstanding. The manufacturer put a lot of thought into them.

FEM, sorry your girls are at war with each other. What stinkers, at least they don’t fight when “supervised”.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a bit over an inch Thu/Fri. Grass is loving it! Raining right now. Baby shower, but more to come!

glad you are picking up some rains at last. yesterday's storms up here landed us over 5 inches in the rain gauges - which has all soaked in already and it just started raining again, but i don't think this is going to be anything like yesterday.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Didn't get more than a spit today, but the forecast for the next week looks promising. The inch we've gotten lately has worked miracles. The downside to that being the mosquitos. Not trying to sound ungrateful - but DANG!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Swamp skeeters!
We don't really have any standing water to speak of - but I guess they're finding some somewhere.

We had rain again today. Haven't had any since Friday. We're at 1.25inches right now. Radar says there might be more. Thats more than we've had at one time since....since I can't remember when, lol.

Whew! It's smelling pretty pungent at my house. More specifically the pastures/pens. Breeding is happening. Bossman is getting old so he's getting a chance to sew his oats with at least 5 gals this year.

The newly planted beans are enjoying the rain today. Also have some volunteer okra coming up. Don't need it! Need to start thinking about a fall garden soon enough.

Dug one hill of purple sweet potatoes yesterday. They are definitely purple! I've got more still in the ground - probably going to leave them for a bit longer

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lots of thunder and lightning and a tiny bit of rain...we're at .05 for the day.

More action in the breeding pen today. Panda, the black/white Myotonic buck figured it out! He got one of the taller gals so I led the doe to a low spot and Panda found a high spot and "boom" the magic happened, lol. January will be busy. Hope the weather cooperates!

PT tomorrow for DH. Gonna take him to Galveston for lunch after PT. His birthday is Sunday but we'll celebrate tomorrow. Don't want to go to Galveston on the weekend. Crazy folks come out, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seems we're in a rainy pattern now. Had dang near an inch today. First time in a long time that we've actually got standing water on the ground. Critters will be dry lotted (actually damp lotted) for awhile now. I'm putting out rye grass seed soon. It's a bit earlier than I usually do, but I think the worst of the heat is over. Hay is so scarce I'm going to try really hard to manage some pasture for them and not kill myself worrying about hay. I've got a couple rounds that I picked up earlier this year - but I don't have enough to free feed it all winter. I'm going to keep on the look out for some affordable hay. I do know where I can get some if I want to pay $125+ a bale. I'd rather not.

I'll be looking to sell Conan :( and one of the Myotonic bucks after breeding season. Have a young buckling that needs to go too. Might wether him and put him in the freezer in the spring. Time to attempt that herd reduction thing I've heard about.

Recently bought a brand new front tire for the tractor. Grandson put it back on the tractor while he was here. I got on the tractor a couple days ago, went about 20 yards and noticed it was flat. Turned around and managed to roll the tire off the rim trying to get it out of the pasture. My bad for not shutting it down as soon as I noticed, ugh. But, today I pulled the tire off, all by myself, and DH took it to town to have it remounted. Tire store said nothing wrong with the tire or the rim and no charge to get it put back together. But - ummm.... then why was it flat? Sigh...

Had lunch with an old friend yesterday. We seriously sat at a restaurant for 3 hours catching up, lol. It was nice. I need to do a better job of keeping in touch.

DH has had two PT sessions. A little too early to know if it's going to be the miracle cure.