Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yah for rain!! 👍😁

One of my does greeted me with a constant squealing yesterday. Yancy at milking and she made it clear the new boy was her priority! 🙄 They've had an overnighter, so who knows what this morning will bring me. 🙄🤣🤷

The coming Saturday is goat auction day ... Yeah, I'm carting several. No firm decision on numbers but, I'd suggest they be on good behavior all week!!! Definately any youngsters still here with danglers will go. 🤨👍. Later than norm but so was kidding this year. So --- poor planning to no planning. 🤣. Might even take all doeling's.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Might even take all doeling's.
Yep, I've got a couple that may go too. One has a double teat..or more correctly a fused teat. Not the end of the world if she's just producing meat babies. But, I started my goat life showing goats and to see a fault like that kinda drives me crazy. Not terribly thrilled with this whole batch of Frankie's babies. They're all small. Conan's babies would shoot up there and gain some size - and as a group these babies aren't doing that. They're all pretty diminutive. They will be bred later this year to a myotonic. Looking for smaller babies if they haven't already been bred to a wayward, fence jumping buck. Argh!

All the puddles from yesterday have soaked in overnight. Rain today is supposed to stay near or on the coast. Hmmmm, we definitely might be in the path. If I had my wish it would stay away today.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree on "driving me crazy". I'm just saying, I don't NEED these doeling's. Possibly a couple other does. Cut back. Help pay for meat does. Balance mouths to feed numbers...etc. There will be more coming in Spring....always some for sale somewhere. I'm getting older and wiser? 🤣🤣. Older for sure!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze, been busy recently.

Tractor tire has been the bane of my existence recently. After wrestling to get it off on Saturday it was time to put it back on the tractor Sunday. I had left the tractor on a bottle jack that was sitting on a piece of 2 x 4 for a little bit of extra stability. Obviously not enough stability. After I got the tire off on Saturday the skies opened up and we had an inch of rain. Went out to put the tire back on the tractor Sunday. Got out there and my stomach dropped as soon as I saw the tractor. Ground was soft, wet and squishy. The piece of 2 x 4 had sunk sideways in the mud, the jack went with it and the tractor had fallen off into the mud. :thGreat! Couldn't get the jack under the axle. I've seen my son put the bucket down and use it to lift the front tires off the ground, but I tried and couldn't make it work. Could've had something to do with the ground being so soft and the bucket just digging down into the mud every time I tried. ARGH! Only thing I could think of was to dig a hole to put another, bigger piece of 2 x 4 down in it so I could get the jack under the axle. Not fun digging a trench under the tractor long enough to fit a 30inch 2 x 4 into. A half an hour later I've got the 2 x 4 and the bottle jack under the front axle and start jacking. It works! But, it doesn't raise it enough. I get another section of 2 x 4 and another bottle jack and get it under the axle and jack it up as far as it will go. Still not enough...(insert curse words here). Reposition the first piece of 2 x 4 and jack and finally get it high enough to get the tire back on. It took over an hour to get the stupid wheel/tire mounted back on the tractor. But, by golly, I did it! And, I hope to never have to do it again.

Got some rye grass seed put out. I'm taking a chance planting at least a month early - but I need winter feed for the critters. Hoping that our really hot weather is done. Rye will generally do really well here and get long and lush if given the chance. I've only got about 2.5 round bales of hay left and that won't get me through winter. I'm still looking for more - but don't feel like I can count on it. I'll dole it out by hand and try to make it go as long as possible. :idunnoDon't know what else to do. If we can get out of this rainy pattern the farmers should be able to get another cutting.

I'll be canning some more charro beans soon. Weve been using 'em up lately. Probably do a couple of batches for now.

Need to get busy...