Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
same here! glad you got the wheel back on! adventures in farming...
True that - but I could do without any more adventures for a while!

So, today I took it easy. Only cleaned out the fridge, baked bread and built DH's new office chair. Hope it's easier on his back than the old one!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am declaring war.

I'm guilty of not paying a lot of attention to how many chickens I have. I just have a whole bunch of free ranging chickens. Sometimes they stay out at the big goat barn, sometimes they stay in the small buck barn and sometimes they stay under a shed. So, a couple days ago I start wondering where all my chickens are and I went on a hunt. Yesterday I was absolutely sure I'm losing chickens. And, last night I lost a duck. So, this is war.

I'm fairly certain I'm dealing with a bobcat. There are plentiful in this area. Whatever is preying on my birds is not killing and eating here which would be more indicative of a smaller predator. Last night something carried of a duck, a big duck. Had to jump into a pen that has 8 ft fencing around it and then it jumped back out carrying a heavy duck. That says cat to me.
The LGD's can't access that area - but tonight that will change. I hate to pit a dog against a cat predator - but a 40lb bobcat would be really stupid to challenge a 120+ lb dog. If it turns out to be a smaller predator - yay! Problem over. If it is a cat - let's hope it's a smart one and starts looking for an easier meal somewhere else.

It's been years since I've had major predator problems, but my neighbors... sigh. My neighbors are old - older than DH and me so they're not doing much yard work, lol. They are also big birders and have totally let their entire acreage grow up with whatever wants to grow. They call it their "bird sanctuary." It brings all manner of vermin and predators to my area. It hasn't been that long since I dispatched a huge possum that was taking eggs and chicks.

So, war it is...:mad:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Moved all the chickens and ducks in that area to the other side of the property into a presently unused garden area. They are continuing the cleanup that the goats started. Also put an LGD in the general area, but not in the pen with the birds. Seems to have worked. Yay. Also started the incubator up...ugh. Have some birds to replace.

Making a quick overnight visit to DD's Friday/Saturday. Thought I was going alone, but DH wants to "try" to make the nearly 5 hour car ride. I told him that I'd love to have him along, but that there's no turning around once we get on the road. It's a time sensitive trip (surprise b'day event for DSIL) so we're on a deadline. Reserved a hotel room so we won't disturb anyone if DH needs to moan and groan all night after that ride, lol. Heated seats, pillows, walking breaks and icepacks will hopefully make the trip tolerable. Poor guy. PT seems to be helping at least a bit at this point. Hoping for more improvement.

Gotta get going on fall/winter gardening. Goat breeding season is on pause. Lots of frustration going on out there right now. I don't really want February babies, so we're taking a break. Goats are not happy with that idea. Fences are taking a beating. Hope they hold!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goat breeding season is on pause. Lots of frustration going on out there right now. I don't really want February babies, so we're taking a break. Goats are not happy with that idea. Fences are taking a beating. Hope they hold!
Oops - I lied! One of my experienced moms was in a really bad way. Making the rounds to all the different buck pens ... (hussy). So, I made an exception and arranged a rendezvous for her and Panda. Success!

I hope he has an okay-enough car ride!
Thanks! I hope so too. He seems to do ok in general. We took a 40 minute drive about a week ago and he did ok. I think if we take frequent breaks it'll be at least tolerable. Maybe one of the stops will be at a liquor store for some liquid muscle relaxer, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH did ok on the ride, but not great. He had PT today and he could hardly function. Things are not looking up right now, but hopefully will be better tomorrow.

Feed prices....argh! Gonna hit the mill again tomorrow to try to get some extra in the event of a rail strike and to try to get a tiny jump on the ever rising prices. Will be listing some goats this week. Ducks too.

Need to get some more beans canned also. We've been using the heck out of the charro beans. Have to restock!

Not much else going on. :hu

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've really enjoyed the past few days of not canning or having to pick things, but today i have to get out there again for some weeding and checking things.

yesterday Mom decided to pick what was left of the tomatoes to deal with. as i'd told her last week that i was done with canning she didn't hear me i guess as she was going on about finding jars and canning tomatoes. hmm, so i tried to remind her that i was done. so now we'll see how many that are actually ready to be done and perhaps i can figure out a compromise where i talk her into making some chili or ghoulash or something instead of canning them. will work for food...