Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wish I had the problem of too many tomatoes....

she just told me she picked another half bucket... no idea how many are needing to be processed right now though. i'm not even looking at them. if i can't see them they can't see me...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SCORE! Finally got some hay yesterday. I was beginning to think that hay would be as scarce as hen's teeth this year. The rain we had a couple weeks ago woke up those hay fields and they grew, grew, grew. Yesterday I contacted one of the guys I've gotten hay from previously and asked if he had any. His answer...I'm making hay right now! I got three big rounds yesterday and I'm going back for more this afternoon. Not sure if 6 will be enough but I do have almost 3 left from last fall. I think I could squeak by, but I might get 3 more after this which should get me through with some to spare. Forty percent chance of rain this afternoon. I may be walking in the rain and tossing out rye grass seed, lol.

DD and the fam are coming in Friday evening for a wedding that DD is in on Saturday. They'll stay over again Saturday night and then hoof it home Sunday. Doing pre-visitor chores today and will pre-cook a bit tomorrow. It'll be fun!

Hope to find time to spend more time in the garden soon. I've got fall seeds started - just need a place to put 'em when they're ready to go out.

Still need to can up more beans. Seems like I've been saying that for a while now. Need to stop talking about it and just do it! May start Sunday after the fam leaves.

Laundry calls (and coffee!).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YAY for HAY!!!

In desperation I bought Bahia hay. I think I'll keep buying Bahia hay. It is all leaf and no hard stalks. I get a lot of waste from the Bermuda hay, because the sheep don't want the hard stalks, plus the stalks poke their mouths and they get an abscess sometimes. The sheep will eat the Bahia grass over the Bermuda. They will eat everything before eating the Bermuda grass. The pasture golden standard grass, Bermuda, is last on the menu for my sheep.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My goats love, love, love Bahai! They do the same as your sheep and leave the stemmier part - but the horses will scarf it up. However, I did get bahia this time - glad to have it. I was about to take whatever I could get.

My pasture grass is mostly bermuda. The goats will darn sure eat all the weeds before the bermuda - but again - the horses prefer the bermuda grass.

I got bahia hay and am thrilled to have it. I paid $70 per bale. I've seen corn stalks selling for more so I'm ok with it. I was about to settle for whatever I could get. I'll probably go back and get 3 more next week....justincase.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My goats love, love, love Bahai! They do the same as your sheep and leave the stemmier part - but the horses will scarf it up. However, I did get bahia this time - glad to have it. I was about to take whatever I could get.

My pasture grass is mostly bermuda. The goats will darn sure eat all the weeds before the bermuda - but again - the horses prefer the bermuda grass.

I got bahia hay and am thrilled to have it. I paid $70 per bale. I've seen corn stalks selling for more so I'm ok with it. I was about to settle for whatever I could get. I'll probably go back and get 3 more next week....justincase.

$70 per bale seems a bargain to me, but perhaps i don't know what i'm talking about (very likely since the last time i lifted a bale of hay it was square/rectangular and not round).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't mind at all paying that for hay at this point. But, previous years I've paid as little as $35 per bale (quite a few years ago) up to $55 - $60 last year. When you consider you're getting probably at least a 1000 lbs of feed it really is a bargain when you price it out per pound. These are huge bales and its really nice hay, so I'm really tickled to have it. I'll go back next week and get 3 more. That'll give me some to spare and ease my anxiety.

Went fishing yesterday with my son and DIL. We had so much fun! Didn't catch a single keeper, but we had a blast hauling them in and catching another. We were in salt water and we caught at least 7 different species. Going back today!

DD and fam are here, but leaving this morning. I'll miss 'em when they're gone. :(