Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
much self-control today, lol. Have you picked up your last doe that was being bred?
Before end of month. Seller might deliver. She has a DD lives just 30 miles past me....so maybe Thanksgiving. Still up in air but she's been with buck to be sure she's covered. She'll be #17 adult goat here...counting 2 bucks. Plus 5 yrlg does. I'm not overcrowded yet. :lol: want 3 more meat does. Probably sell at least 5 milk does after kids in Spring.:idunnowaiting to see kids & growth first. Then decide. Kids start Jan/Feb.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL! I love it! But, I can understand needing to build up your breeding herd. Ya can't breed 'em to sell if you don't have breeding stock.

I only came home with two. Cute little things too. And, they breed year round so I'll try to be patient. I want October babies so come May they can meet the boys and start earning their keep.

Riviera:

1668376158827.png

Winifred:

1668376217966.png

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
LOL! I love it! But, I can understand needing to build up your breeding herd. Ya can't breed 'em to sell if you don't have breeding stock.

I only came home with two. Cute little things too. And, they breed year round so I'll try to be patient. I want October babies so come May they can meet the boys and start earning their keep.

Riviera:

View attachment 21145

Winifred:

View attachment 21146
Nice lookin' ladies you got there! :love: Sure would be hard to pass them up!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
can understand needing to build up your breeding herd. Ya can't breed 'em to sell if you don't have breeding stock.
As good a reason as any. 👍. I see you are, too. :lol:

Nice does ya got! Great body depth. Are they full MYOs? I like the way Winifred is standing...alert.

Ya know Boer are year round breeders....makes it nice to spread out care chores and income. 👍. We'll see. Can always sell and go out of business.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! I kind of like 'em myself. Yes, they are full Myotonic. Their breeder has just earned her certification as a Myotonic judge. We spent some time going over them and critiquing their structure. I showed Pygmy goats for many years and our club put on several judges training classes. The scorecard for Mytonics is close - but not quite the same as for Pygmies.

They are really nice girls but they both have faults. For instance Winifred - yes she does look very alert. That alert look is at least in part a result of her ear set. They are upright and at attention. And it's a fault in Myotonics, lol. Who knew? The other goat has ears that meet the Myotonic breed standard. But, I agree - the upright ears are prettier. But, I mean, nobody sells their BEST goats, lol. But, I'm ok with 'em. I probably won't get back into showing, but who knows?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, not every animal fits everyone 🤗. There are some that I admire in another's pasture only. :lol: I think we often buy into something that "sounds Sooo good" and isn't for you once you're the owner. It's same with garden plants and animals.

Our attitude for owning changes too. I used to raise Boers for "breeders"....now, for meat, as a sale product. Once my DH suggested we BBQ a goat for a company cookout. I asked where he was going to get one?? (As I looked at a field of 50 or so Boer. 🤣). Surely not one of MINE. :old🤣🤣. I still look at my breeder herd as just that. Only production is freezer fill. 🤷

I like those ears....bad judge. She has a dairy neck, too. Rejects are great!!! 🤗.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree that she is a very pretty girl and I like her a lot! I like both of them a lot and I'm not breeding for the show ring. However I do breed for structure because a properly built goat generallly lasts a lot longer than one with a lot of structural defects.

That's one of the reasons that I finally moved Conan on. He gave good parasite resistance but those crooked legs... argh! Those crooked hocks don't fit well with a good udder attachments so it was time to move him along.

You're right @Mini Horses. Different needs for different folks at different times. And genetics! Genetics are awesome and I love experimenting. For instance...myotonics are classified as a meat goat. But, what I want from them is a mid-sized, meaty goat that I can still milk. I've bred the Myo bucks to some of my dairy-ish does and am hoping for does with decent production and meaty males. :fl

Supposed to get ugly this afternoon with possible strong storms, possible hail and tornadoes. Hope not!

Got my onions and garlic finally. I hope to get them in the ground today before any storms hit. "Hope" being the operative word here, lol. Actually have lots of things I hope (and need) to get done.