Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Scrap metal here is still over $9.00... DS has another flat bed trailer almost piled as high as it can go with stuff... He got over 1,000 on the last load. Been cleaning up around the farm from years of just take it out and park it in the woods kind of things from the previous owner... and he takes any old scrap stuff from people like if they need to get a washing machine or stove hauled off... gets stuck on the trailer til he has another load...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He got over 1,000 on the last load.
That's awesome!

I'm not sure what scrap is going for here, but I know these guys get out and do a lot of hauling when prices are up. Someone else told me it was 'worth it' to haul it now. I hope they get a good chunk of change - that's why we're donating it. We'll get a "charitable contribution' on our taxes. Win, win!

We're supposedly on their schedule again today. However, three strikes and you're out folks! I'm tired of waiting for someone who never shows up. My neighbor is always willing to haul stuff. He gets it out of here and he gets a little bank for his efforts.

Watching the news this morning and the stories about the air quality in the north east. That's awful! We can prepare for a lot of different situations - but it's hard to prepare for toxic air! Mask companies are gonna be making money again.

Had a cuppa - need to get moving. DH has a doc appt today.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent some time at Urgent Care today with DH. He's been having some blisters and discoloration on his lower legs. I looked more closely at them last night and several areas looked infected and were weeping. Ugh - nasty. I cleaned 'em up and bandaged 'em last night so he wouldn't gross up the bed. Got up this morning and immediately got him an appt. at Urgent Care. ER was mentioned by the NP there, but we bypassed that and got home with two different oral antibiotics and an antibiotic ointment (along with the promise to head to ER immediately if the redness increased or if he spikes a temp. Poor guy - it's one thing after another these days.

My original plans were to do the mowing today. Darn! But, it's still waiting for me and with no rain in the forecast for the next week or so I'll have ample opportunity to get it done.

We were forced to go to lunch while waiting for his prescriptions to be filled. That's kind of a bonus for me because generally when we go out to lunch I don't cook for dinner. True to form - most of my lunch came home with us and can be utilized for the evening meal. We checked out the newest Mexican restaurant in town and were pleasantly surprised.

I hit the couch for a quick siesta and I really need to do something productive - but I don't really wanna. It's hot! Maybe when it starts to cool off I can get motivated.

Snapped a quick pic of the ol' lady yesterday.

1686519114605.jpeg

She doesn't look too bad for 27. Just a baby, I tell ya, lol.

This next pic isn't so much about the goat in the foreground as it is about the 3 juvenile delinquents behind her. Obviously, the bale that's been put out for them isn't good enough. They think they should climb up the stock panel and cause it to lean where they can reach the other bale that shouldn't be reachable yet. I think I have that little problem solved now, lol. Silly girls!

1686519390549.jpeg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Juvenile delinquents are a cute pain in my behind!

We're treating the wound on DH's leg. It is looking somewhat better. Probably a wound care doc in his near future.

It's hot! Our lowest high temp for the next 10 days is 97 - with lots of 98's, 99's, and even a couple 100's thrown in just to make it even more miserable. Heat index from 109 - 111ish. Sigh... I almost expect those temps in July/August but I don't love them starting now.

Getting lots of peppers from the garden. PD beans are done and I saved a few seeds. Might plant again when the temps aren't so ridiculous. Waiting for okra and the southern peas to start producing. Actually harvested a few tomatoes! Moving them from the main garden to pots on the driveway and using nets on them confused most of the bugs. But, now that I've figured out what to do it's too dang hot for them to set fruit. Cherry tomatoes are still giving a measly offering, but that's about it. I'll probably cut all the tomatoes back and try to keep 'em alive until it cools off. Might even pot up some of the suckers and hope for something from them. Still getting the occasional golden zucchini and lubnani squash. Cucumbers are about to start coming on - lots of blooms and baby cukes. Fingers crossed for the cantaloupe.

More on the home improvement saga. I started painting several weeks ago and then was given the name of a "really good painter." I called said painter and he came out and gave me a nice bid. I told him yay! He said it would be a couple of weeks before he could get too us. Ok - so I put on my patient hat and waited. Well.....guess what? This is the week he was supposed to do it. I checked with him earlier this week and it seems that he pushed us back because two big jobs came in. But, he can get to me in another month or so. NOPE! I started painting again yesterday. That's what I get for waiting on someone else. ARGH! Just can't get good help these days.

Gotta pick up feed for the critters and a few groceries this morning. Then I'll be painting.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Juvenile delinquents are a cute pain in my behind!

haha! i'll bet... :)

We're treating the wound on DH's leg. It is looking somewhat better. Probably a wound care doc in his near future.

perhaps oxygen can help?

It's hot! Our lowest high temp for the next 10 days is 97 - with lots of 98's, 99's, and even a couple 100's thrown in just to make it even more miserable. Heat index from 109 - 111ish. Sigh... I almost expect those temps in July/August but I don't love them starting now.

yes, we've already had our bouts of low 90s already and i'm not looking forwards to what may be coming along next. AC will save us from becomming bacon (i was first going to write that as "saves our bacon")...

Getting lots of peppers from the garden. PD beans are done and I saved a few seeds. Might plant again when the temps aren't so ridiculous.

i'm so glad they've worked out well for you. :) i've probably planted a few thousand seeds so far and i may plant some more in the coming week or two depending upon how this goes.

the oldest plants i have growing of them were planted May 4th but they're just now starting to really get much going. it's been so cold and also so dry that even watering with the well water has not really helped them much at all.
i'm also pretty sure that the garden soil where i put that first batch in is somewhat poor in nitrogen so it could use some amendments.

Waiting for okra and the southern peas to start producing. Actually harvested a few tomatoes! Moving them from the main garden to pots on the driveway and using nets on them confused most of the bugs.

great to hear! :)

But, now that I've figured out what to do it's too dang hot for them to set fruit. Cherry tomatoes are still giving a measly offering, but that's about it. I'll probably cut all the tomatoes back and try to keep 'em alive until it cools off. Might even pot up some of the suckers and hope for something from them.

hose them down in the morning before it gets too hot. the cooler temperature from the water along with the action of the spray will often help them set more fruits.

people say to not spray down tomato plants because it can encourage diseases but i'm of the sort of gardener that i'll take a diseased tomato plant with fruit set over one that looks purty but doesn't have any fruit at all.

Still getting the occasional golden zucchini and lubnani squash. Cucumbers are about to start coming on - lots of blooms and baby cukes. Fingers crossed for the cantaloupe.

melons seem to love the heat - at least up here they sure do best right in the prime of summer.

More on the home improvement saga. I started painting several weeks ago and then was given the name of a "really good painter." I called said painter and he came out and gave me a nice bid. I told him yay! He said it would be a couple of weeks before he could get too us. Ok - so I put on my patient hat and waited. Well.....guess what? This is the week he was supposed to do it. I checked with him earlier this week and it seems that he pushed us back because two big jobs came in. But, he can get to me in another month or so. NOPE! I started painting again yesterday. That's what I get for waiting on someone else. ARGH! Just can't get good help these days.

yes, that would be a major reason to not hire him and to give him a poor recommendation to others. someone giving you a bid and a start time and then taking other business without even asking you is just pure BS.

i'd go pee in his paint can if i were the real cantankerous sort...

Gotta pick up feed for the critters and a few groceries this morning. Then I'll be painting.

you do have AC there right? :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s hot here too, and humid! Today the sky is cloudy from that Mexican smoke from what the media calls “agricultural fires.” If American farmers were clouding up the hemisphere with smoke, they would be arrested, sued for everything they had and lose the farm.

Latest posts