Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I worried about you and Bay last nite. ABC news showed a 200+ acre wild fire in Texas. Hot and dry. I thought of your pond and Bay's mud. FIRE?? really? Must of been somewhere else in your huge state!
The fire really is horrible, and I feel for the folks dealing with it. However, it's nearly 10 hours north of me, thank goodness! Thanks for the thought though!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did a whole lot of nothing today. Changed bedding, did some laundry, normal goat chores and tried to take a nap. Yep, whole lot of nothing, lol.

I listed a couple of bucks the other day. Had a few responses and got mostly annoyed with people. Ugh! However, I looked a little more closely at one of the possible keeper baby bucklings and discovered that he is indeed - NOT a keeper. Not only does he have a little split in his scrotum, but he also has FOUR teats. FOUR! Sounds like a bonus when they're only supposed to have two, huh? However, they're ONLY SUPPOSED to have TWO! Who is passing on these unwanted traits? My purdiest, stockiest, sweetest, most muscle-bound myotonic buck. WHY does it always work out that way? Sigh...

Still have a lot of does left to kid so maybe something else will come along that's a little more correct. So far, I have two bucklings sired by the old guy that passed on a few weeks ago. Both of them look pretty good. I kinda started thinking about maybe looking for a new buck. Eh...maybe or maybe I'll just keep a home-grown one.

Planted 10 thornless blackberry plants the other day. Working, slowly, on getting some weed barrier (sounds better than cardboard) around them and will eventually get some old hay down to cover the cardboard. If the sun comes out tomorrow I might get that finished.

Today was damp and dreary. I can't work under those conditions, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Damp & dreary, a no go for much work here, too.

Well - four teats were the norm for first Boer imported years back. They all functioned. Very nice when trips were born 😊. There are still some out there -- check backgrounds on the Myotonics. :idunno who knows, maybe a genetic throwback?

I'm assuming no sale offers beyond the 1/2 price & deliver, too, guy.?? 😁

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No more offers because I pulled my ad, lol. I've got some decisions to make about keeping vs. selling either of the guys I'd listed. The little guy, born in December is absolutely awesome. His sire is the guy with the split. He also has a little split. Other than that. he's everything you could want in a buck. Stocky, heavily muscled, great legs and topline - just beautiful. I deliberately did NOT disbud him so I wouldn't be tempted to keep him.

I've heard about Boers and extra teats. Myotonics have been around since the 1800's - so pre-Boers in the US! I know from my experience showing goats that faults can pop up generations away from the source. It often times happens in the really nice ones. Why? Because people aren't willing to sacrifice breeding a "great" goat because of a "little" flaw. I get it. If the goat is awesome in every other way you try to preserve that greatness by breeding and hoping that the good genetics outweigh the bad.

A tiny split in the scrotum is generally accepted if it's less than an inch. There are some who believe that the scrotum defect is linked to the teat problems. From what I understand, it isn't proven. Who knows? I started my goat life with show quality goats, and I'm stuck in my high expectations, lol. Even though I know there are no perfect goats, I have problems accepting obvious genetic flaws. However, I bought this buck knowing about the defect. I justified it because he's gorgeous, and so far, his male kids are sold to a cabrito buyer. I guess I just need to adjust my expectations.

Still dreary this morning but hoping for a break in the clouds by this afternoon. Too much on my list to do a whole lot of nothing again today!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm no longer showing any animals. With that there comes a tolerance for something I might have otherwise vetoed. Like less than perfect teat placement in favor of awesome quantity/quality of milk. 🤷. Pretty much buy in all bucks. So a tiny scrotal split might be a thing you'd wait, use and see if it passed or not -- all else being great. Think on that.

Depending on market prices this year, I might cut numbers a LOT. Sold 5 adult Boer last yr. Will look at less milkable dairy this year if not really good for production & momma traits for Boer crosses. Thinking to maintain 5ish for milking.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm no longer showing any animals. With that there comes a tolerance for something I might have otherwise vetoed.
Yep, I get it and learning to do the same!

Myotonic doe delivered b/d twins this afternoon. These guys are sired by the same one with the split and so far, the babies look great. Teats appear normal and I can't really see a split on the little guy. But, he's tiny, lol! I'll watch him and see if anything becomes more apparent later. Really nice stocky babies!

Should have another doe deliver within the next couple of days. My kidding season this year is totally ridiculous. I don't like it being this drawn out. I wasn't a good steward of my herd last fall...

Got the blackberries mulched. That's about all the gardening I got done - baby watch took up a lot of my day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started the day with normal morning chores but then added in cleaning the water troughs. Ugh, but it's done.

Milked Pebbles, my main milk girl, but milked Poppy too. Her udder is uneven. Don't really know why - I've seen her babies nursing both sides.

Picked up sticks in the back yard and all the mess the dogs/horses made back there in preparation to mow and got the mowing done. Looks so much better. The horses had eaten down all the rye grass, but they left a bunch of yellow flowers. What's wrong with eating the flowers too?

Put out more weed control (cardboard) around the blackberries and a couple new trees. Got old hay piled up around them. Hope the weeds get the hint!

Worst chore ever, but it's done now. Disbudded 5 babies. Two bucklings and 3 doelings. There will be more to do as more babies appear. Sigh

Digging around in the freezers to find something for dinner. So far - mango jalapeno sausage and some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos. Might be a theme here, lol. Oh, and some sweet potato fries. Yum! Not exactly the healthiest meal ever - but I'm tired and I don't care.

Just because:

IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5867.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well yay! Up, showered and downstairs by 4am! I win, I win! Not sure what exactly I win, and not really sure I want to win...

Infomercials! Doesn't everyone need a countertop double oven/air fryer? Free shipping! It gets even better - two for the price of one if you pay extra shipping. But wait - there's more... (lack of sleep makes me even weirder than normal, lol) Actually, went to bed at 9p and slept until 3a. Six hours isn't great, but it could be worse.

While disbudding baby goats yesterday I discovered that these little guys have an issue. LICE! So, I've got my work cut out for me today. It's only the babies in the front barn. I was about to turn them and their mama's out to the bigger area, but I need to get them parasite free before mingling with the general population. Today will be all about cleaning out that barn and getting it, and the babies, treated. That's IF I can get my hands on the little darlins...they don't like me very much right after disbudding. Can't say that I blame 'em.