Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A day at doctors office just might be a day of rest!
I dropped DH at the door of the professional bldg and I found a far corner of the parking lot to try to grab 40 winks. Not sure I got more than 12, but it helped. Got home and he went upstairs to elevate his legs for an hour and I tried to grab a few more minutes of shut-eye. Not totally successful and I'm looking forward to the bed aready and it's barely 7p.

I have two gals in kidding pens. Not sure it'll happen yet, but felt the need to have them in a nice safe place if they decide to release the hostages tonight. Thankfully they're experienced does and I don't feel the need to keep eyes on them all night. I rarely have overnight babies. Hope the gals remember that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two new babies early this morning! Buck/doe twins of course. I could do with more doelings and less bucklings but I seem to have no power over these things, lol.

It's dreary and drizzly today so I'm trying out the new Presto electric canner today. I'm going to do a few jars of taco soup base mix. Smells pretty good in here.

Not much on the agenda with the icky weather so I'm kinda looking forward to a semi-boring day!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew - slept until 5 this morning. Running behind already. Oh well! Coffee is good and I'm going to enjoy a couple of cups until the sun makes an appearance.

Later I'll put fuel in the tractor and air in the tire and try to spread a couple of dirt piles in the pasture. I want to put up a hoop house in that area for the horses. I've got so many does with babies or who will soon have babies that I don't want the horses in their space. Even though they're little horses, baby goats are a lot smaller. I don't want any squished babies. Weather has been cooperative lately so I need to get this work done before things change.

At some point today I'll need to move two large planters from the back yard around to the front. I've got two new baby kumquat trees that I want to put in the planters. I've lost two kumquats to freezes the last couple of years so I'm trying to prevent that from happening again. The front of my house faces south so hopefully that will help some. Plus - if they live at the end of the driveway it'll be easy to get them into the garage in the event of a hard freeze. Tired of losing my citrus trees!

Made some delish goat milk yogurt a few days ago. I think I'll pop some blueberries and yogurt in a bowl, add a little drizzle of honey, and call it breakfast. Yum!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not much on the agenda with the icky weather so I'm kinda looking forward to a semi-boring day!

that was my plan. Mom had to run some errands so i've had a peaceful day without music or any other noise at all. peaceful is the key word there. also i could have sardines with mustard and hot sauce for breakfast... on tuna casserole...

:) it's the little things... :)

congrats on the new munchkins...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
congrats on the new munchkins...
Thanks! So much fun watching them run around.

Busy day and not finished. I moved the new mama and her babies into the small barnyard closer to the house. I like to keep an eye on the newbies. Also, when they're ready to disbud I do it in the smaller barn in that area.

Checked eyelids on the does and made sure all that have kidded got their post-kidding dose of dewormer. I'll follow up with those girls. Wishing the rest of these gals would get on with it. Have a couple that may go as long as May...ugh!

I got on the tractor this morning and spent a couple of hours spreading a mound of dirt. Notice that I said "spread" and not "leveled," lol. Nothing level about it! I bet the horses won't care. The panel I used for the hoop house was one of the bigger 20' x 60" ones. Holy Cow those things are heavy! I covered it with a couple of smallish tarps that I had in the garage. For now it'll simply be a shady spot for them to laze around and enjoy a breeze. This fall I'll put a back on it to block the north wind. They don't need that now.

Possible rain overnight so I got the mowing done. Need to do some trimming but I bet I don't get that done today. Need to start feeding and then get something started for dinner.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tragedy on the farm today. Heard a baby crying when I got up this morning so got outside asap. All babies were still bedded down, but I did find the baby that was crying. I picked her up and immediately noticed that her abdomen was hard, extended and painful. Put her down and she squatted to pee and no more than a couple drops passed. I moved her into a kidding pen with her mama and 15 minutes later she was gone. Absolutely NO idea what happened to that baby, but it most likely was some sort of trauma. I'm guessing that she had a ruptured bladder along with other internal injuries. Maybe got stepped on by a bigger goat. Poor darlin'.

Another doe kidded today. Boy/girl twins. Still have no less than 7 does left to kid. Yikes! I listed a mama and baby for sale. Gotta cut down!

Canned some more ground beef today. Have about 10 more lbs to go. Might freeze one pkg, but the rest will be canned. Absolutely LOVE the new canner.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tragedy on the farm today. Heard a baby crying when I got up this morning so got outside asap. All babies were still bedded down, but I did find the baby that was crying. I picked her up and immediately noticed that her abdomen was hard, extended and painful. Put her down and she squatted to pee and no more than a couple drops passed. I moved her into a kidding pen with her mama and 15 minutes later she was gone. Absolutely NO idea what happened to that baby, but it most likely was some sort of trauma. I'm guessing that she had a ruptured bladder along with other internal injuries. Maybe got stepped on by a bigger goat. Poor darlin'.

that would be tough to bear. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two more does discharged their prisoners yesterday. Blackie delivered two very nice doelings and Emma had boy/girl twins. Time to start thinking about another disbudding session. Ugh! Also need to start coccidia prevention. So much to do! It's time to set up the creep feeding area for the babies. They're nibbling mom's food but it's too chaotic at feeding time for them to compete with the big gals. They'll appreciate having their own private dining room.

I'll get another batch of gr. beef canned today. Probably no more unless I catch a really good sale on beef and I'm not counting on that happening anytime soon. I need to look for some corned beef brisket. It's usually available around St. Paddy's day. I love, love, love corned beef and cabbage and any leftovers make great sammiches!

Guess I better get started - running an hour behind somehow, lol!