NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And we won the super bowl! Whoop!:lol:

Seriously I hope it was a big win!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awesome, right?! It wasn't huge, $125 bucks, but it'll buy lunch for me and my co-workers. After that I'm gonna go buy a new bag of kelp for the goats. Any left after that will probably go in the hidden treasure box, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, FEM....get to listing those piggies on CL. I did and all 8 left last night to one farm. The 2 sows for breeding....babes, some of each when older. They already have a pair, so a mature boar ready to meet Rosie & Tiny. We are all happy :D

I will now concentrate on "reworking" their creative efforts (OK, the holes!!:lol:) left from the tilling, where they removed a LOT of roots from some nasty crap growing there. It's all gonna work.
AND, soon I will need to sell the 12 new goat kids (9 boys!!) and one doe left to kid. I will keep one doe, she's just too colorful and correct (50/50 nub/saanen).

Soooooooo......butchered yet? :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did sell a baby boar yesterday! My neighbor had a work buddy who was looking for a pig - so I now have one less mouth to feed! Intend to put the craigslist ad up tonight - as soon as I get updated pics. AND, I've said this before....but talked to neighbor yesterday and we are planning on butchering Saturday. Probably only do one because of time constraints. I have to work until 1pm so we won't even get started until about 2:00. Plus, it's gonna be in the 80's so we're gonna need to bust butt and get this critter on ice.

Today is finally the day I take the doeling in for her cast to be removed. I've gotta say that this broken leg and heavy cast never slowed this gal down. I finally turned her out with the herd a couple days ago. The pasture is dry so I know she's loving being out of her run.

A little over 3 weeks and we start kidding. I looked real close at the gals yesterday and my best guess is that I've got a minimum of 8 bred - and very likely 9. I'm still questioning one...

TGIF!!!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yay on the doeling getting her cast removed! She must be thrilled to be out with the herd too!

Good luck getting a boar butchered. Sounds awful hot! I need to start feeding my barrow a little faster so we can butcher before it gets too warm.

Yay kids soon!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled about butchering in that kind of heat - but I'm beginning to think we are done with "winter" here. What's even worse is that I figure we'll have at least one more cold spell - it always happens this way. My lemon trees are covered with blossoms that are about to open, fig trees are putting out tiny leaves, shrubs are blooming and the stevia has already come back from the roots when it just got through a hard freeze a month ago....

I'm gonna try to bathe the boar before we kill him so we can get right on the skinning. We'll have lots of ice on hand to pack him in as soon as we get him parted out. Just hoping it works - and if it doesn't - I'll have a whole bunch of dog food and one less mouth to feed, lol.

Latest posts