Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, more likely that I'll just hose him off and try to get the dried up mud to loosen up a bit, lol. I'm totally terrible at guessing weights. He is the smaller of the two - and was the runt of the litter. He was also the most aggressive at breeding time and is the father of the litters. My guess is he's "around" 200 lbs. We'll weigh him before we start processing so we'll see how close I am. I expect I'll be off quite a bit!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably close on weight, those short legs make it look smaller.

Bathing him -- well hosing him in the heat will be a breeze, they hate heat and love to be hosed, at least mine loved hosing. Put him in a pen with no dirt or at least some straw/shavings. Mine would lay down and turn over for me, LOL You can always spray a little diluted Dawn on him :cool:

Wish I had yours here -- had 3 more people responding with phone numbers to call for a looksee. Dropping the ad now.

You should be ok with the butcher. I have taken an unopened bag of ice (or two) and laid in the gut cavity, while laying the carcass on ice in a cooler OR tarp supported on sides to hold it all.

Sharpen those knives....:celebrate:drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope I have that kind of luck too!

Mine are pretty much big babies too. I'm constantly surprised at how laid back they really are.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wish we were done w/winter here. It's been cold both yesterday and today.

Good luck w/your butchering.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well my buyers came at dark. Thankfully I had gone and set up for the pen to be closed, some gate sections opened for trailer to back into, etc., earlier. All loading set up. Of course, dark and strangers, so the piggies were on alert. But, I calmed them and grabbed each babe one at a time, loaded into front trailer area, then used feed & scratches to get the two girls in. They followed me. Shut the door!!!

You know, I was the oldest one there and the ONLY one catching. Talk about some beginner livestock handlers -- wow! The older guy was horse type, the younger "along for the ride" . I gave him opening & closing the door duties. Took me 20 minutes to load the 8-- those little rascals can move fast !

Some days "ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!" Sheesh........

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They probably were scared of you, wrangling all those pigs! I never know if I should jump in or not in those situations.

So FEM are you going to keep the other one and breed the sows again? Or are you done with piggie breeding? Sorry if you've already answered that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I had to be the pig wrangler/catcher too. Thankfully it was only for one that time. I have a creep feeder set up in their pen so catching them (at least the first one) is pretty easy.

I'm not ready to stop breeding yet. I'll probably try it at least once more, or more, lol. I just need to stop procrastinating on moving the ones I don't intend to keep. But, that's nothing new in my life - I keep too many for too long, lol. I'm gonna probably keep one or two of these babies and let 'em grow out on grass and try to butcher them all by myself - probably before they fully grow out. Maybe roast one whole!

Took the little doeling to the vet and got another x-ray. Unfortunately, she's not quite ready to be de-casted. :( She's been way too active and even though there is a good callus forming around the break she's not there yet. AND, the leg is gonna be crooked - ugh. But, all she has to do for the rest of her life is make babies and make milk - so I guess a crooked leg won't kill her.

They were supposed to email me copies of the x-rays but I guess the little gal spelled my name wrong cuz I didn't get them. If they ever get it right I'll post 'em.

Didn't get pics of the piggies - so still haven't posted the ad. See a procrastination pattern here? Mostly just een so busy I don't get home before dark. Pics don't work in the dark...

I have to work tomorrow until early afternoon - then butchering - so I hope I can find a minute to get some pics tomorrow.... Geeze!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! Pics! Lol

Bummer about the leg but she sounds like a tough little goat!

Hey how's DH? Was thinking about the eye injections today for some reason... Bleh.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope the butchering is going good......rather warm today here too. Oh well, souutherners way of cold storage to hang the meat.......is an ice chest! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neighbor crapped out on me again...ugh. But, I'm not too disappointed because I do think it's too hot. However, I don't know that it's gonna get cooler again... May have to look at having it professionally processed. I just dunno...

I am going to go get pics of those pigges and post 'em on aforementioned Craigslist! I'm gonna do it - yep - I am - right now - as soon as I change clothes - and shoes - and get me some diet root beer - and maybe a bite to eat - and check on broken-leg goat. But, yep - gonna get 'er done!