Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wondered how those worked. Totally going to try it next year! Darn, I am bummed I'm not milking this year!

Love the colors on that baby btw!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, I'm glad the kids are alright and you were on hand to rescue them. Crazy pigs!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah right... Crazy pigs! That's why I'm afraid to let my goats and pigs be too close to each other (and possibly why my goats are terrified of the pigs, lol). I'm glad they're ok!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yea - it could have been a tragedy. Totally my fault for not moving that doe earlier. It's been kind of a weird year for kidding. Several of my does have gone from having ligs and just barely an enlarged udder to kidding within hours. Guess I need to keep that in mind for the few does I have left.

Hope to get more gardening done today... hope I don't have any more kid, lol!

Happy Easter ya'll!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope no more kids show up, so you can get some other things accomplished!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Insulin pump is a bit of a challenge. Last night we only got up once to check, so that wasn't too bad. Yesterday there was some kind of problem with it. BS kept climbing no matter what he did. He finally just changed out everything - insulin and the cannula and it started working. But that can be an expensive option... AND, we found out that our insurance won't cover the specialized testing strips - so for a mere $600 we could get a couple months supply. Nope - gonna keep using the ones hat he gets now for much less moolah!

No more kids today - thank goodness! I was too busy to worry about it anyway. I did move the THREE does who are still due to kid out of the pasture and away from the pigs. Takes a little it of worry off my mind.

I finally got the yard mowed...all of it in one day, lol. Neighbor and I were talking yesterday and noticed that we really need to get the pasture mowed too. Geeze.

I put a ham in the oven to cook while I was running around outside. It's soooo good! Guess now I'll have to figure out about a zillion more meals out of it so we get it eaten up. Next time I buy a ham I need to cut it in half before I freeze it, I guess.

Oh my goodness! DH just came up with the best idea after watching me try to bottle feed those 4 babies. I've been racking my brain to come up with a bottle holder without needing to build something. Sooooo here's his idea - our grocery store gives you a fabric holder with 6 separated sections when you buy 6 bottles of wine. He suggested hanging the bag up and cutting a hole in the fabric to stick the nipples through. Holy Cow I think this might work! I will be trying this tomorrow. Pics if it actually works...

I'm still off tomorrow - but DH has to work in the morning. Tomorrow afternoon is the eye doc appt. Hope we can get surgery scheduled. His cataract is getting worse by the day it seems. Or maybe he's just whining more, lol. Poor guy...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:fl on the eye appointment and getting the darn pump regulated. That would be great if you had a way to wrangle bottle babies more easily too!

Haha yeah a whole ham? You've got the same problem I had this week with a whole turkey. I ended up re-freezing a bunch of it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the kids and glad you saved them from the pigs. My red wattle pigs stalk the chickens up and down the fence. They are hunters. The Hampshire pig is dumb, she'd nothing like those red wattles!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe the heritage hogs have a better survival instinct. They still know how to hustle their own food instead of having it brought to them? My AGH's are basically living off pasture these days. I toss a little corn out every afternoon but it's not much between 5 pigs and 3 mini horses!