Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always knew I wanted to "just farm" in the sense of my own little place to raise food & animals. I continued 2 PT jobs that normally complement one another with high/low workloads. But it only took 2 days of being off & KNOWING I had 2 more :) to remind me that the tranquility was there at the farm.....2 months of heavy work & that stress of not being able to do what I wanted at home was the push I needed. Now it has slowed to more "normal". I will be ok & have 3-4 days a wk at home.

With that said, I am certain that the stress of work after they eye bleed & with the increased 'boss action' created a real, real level of anxiety for DH. I'm with Bay, he may find being at home a good option. Possibly he is ready for some PT work assignments & more stay at home time. It's a nice way to work into "retirement" full time.

It's hard to completely stop work after many years of doing something you like to do. Oh, first couple weeks is nice but, then comes reality. You are "missing" something. (paychecks?:lol:) If you have projects to work thru it will help consume your time & thought -- or a goal to work toward. That is why you find many volunteers are the retired people.

Bay -- your DH is getting a "total rebuild" :hugs it seems. That can sure occupy everyone's time.....but, you two have kept busy thru it all and acclimated to heavy work with farm & gardening. Now you can devote a lot more time to canning, etc. (Hey --I've been buying a LOT of jars at every yard sale I find them, adding to my own & getting ready. ) I'm sure you also provide such garden product to your kids -- we all do. It's a good life of production, gratification & comfort.

So, FEM, I know you are planning for you BOTH to be home more! Keep it going.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Studies have PROVED that being outside is good for mental health, and other studies have found that there is a fungus natually present in soil that gets absorbed through the skin and acts like Prozac, only without the bad side effects. We are meant to be outside with the soil, the trees, and the sunshine.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Britesea - I absolutely agree. I think that's why many of us are drawn to gardening. I am a much better person when I've had my hands and/or feet in the dirt! It's like my 'crack' and I have to have it, lol!

@Mini Horses - Gardening/farming has always been in my blood. I'm a nurturer by nature and I hope I can always have an outlet for that.

I would not be the least bit disappointed if DH decides to retire. Jealous - yes, lol! But, I think it would do him a world of good not to be caught up in the rat race of life anymore. Physically he does much better to stay away from all the negativity that a high stress career (health care management) brings!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a high stress job (different kind of stress!) And I don't miss being wound up all the time! I hope he feels the same after a bit at home.

I was just talking to my husband about how people used to just understand that you're better off being outside and now it's like a novel idea, lol. I have a kids book, "Heidi", that has a copyright date of 1954, if you don't all know it, it's about a little girl who is an invalid who goes to visit her friend in the mountains and after spending her days outside (and drinking fresh goat milk!) she's cured. I love it... So simple and so many people need to get out there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love Heidi - it had goats in it, lol! And, it's older than me! Have you ever seen the movie? It starred Shirley Temple and it was so sweet!

I don't see how anyone stays inside all the time. Even in a thunderstorm I'll be outside watching it rain.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope haven't seen it! Yes my daughter just found this book, it was my stepdad's when he was a kid. She is obsessed with it, of course she is obsessed with goats!

Latest posts