Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks BB.

I lost a yellow squash plant.. probably to a squash borer. I never had any trouble with borers until a couple years ago. They are so annoying!

I'm thinking I'll get to pick a few zucchini tomorrow. YAY!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your garden is looking good! The rain blew through at 4 AM and gave us a half inch. I didn't make jelly today.......didn't do a whole lot of anything.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even though I'm out of shavings, I still have some garden chores to do. In the pic, you can barely see the edge of some of the big blue tubs I bought. I've got my tomatoes planted in them to make it easier to cover if the stink bugs come back this year. I bought some more of those tubs this spring. Then I went to Wallyworld and bought cheap dirt/cow manure/compost bags to fill them up. I've done some of them, but still have more to go. That'll be my chore for today. Then I can plant some more things in the tubs! Yay! I wonder how okra would do in a tub? Sweet potatoes? I feel some garden experimentation coming on!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your garden looks good! Wow on the heat though. Over 80F is HOT lol We had so much rain over the last 2,3 days, I'd happily send some your way if I could.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not at all envious of the heat, but I am envious of your garden season. I still can't plant my main garden. I've only got frost-resistant things in now. Usually we can plant between Memorial Day and June 1st. So, soon!

I am much more drawn to gardening in raised beds and tubs. I have no idea why, maybe because I'm lazy, lol! Looking forward to hearing about your experiments!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We've been in the 80's here too. I lost all cukes and cantaloupe and had to replant them the other day.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
By July and August, we'll be thinking 80 degrees is a cold front! LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even know how you guys do it. How do the animals take that weather? If it's over 90, I'm useless. Especially with any humidity. I'd never make it in Texas.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You do acclimate to a certain degree. But, you really do have to be careful when the heat and humidity are up. Sometimes I work in the garden with the sprinkler running!

The animals adjust too. They laze around in the shade in the middle of the day and drink lots of water. Milk production can go way down too. I've been known to go home at lunch and put fresh water out for them...the water in the buckets can get really hot.