Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
Already really hot. We went from spring to summer in a couple of days. Still trying to get the mulching done in the garden. It's slow going- but I WILL get it done. I'm going to need more shavings...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are at 95 degrees and 67% humidity... for a heat index of a WHOPPING 118 degrees! Holy Cannoli!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unbelievable that it got soooo hot sooo fast. Last week and earlier this week we were in the mid 80's. Hoping that the rain we're supposed to get tonight and tomorrow will cool things down again for at least a couple days!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always used hay, but hay has weed seeds. And, mostly because of the lingering herbicide in it (and until I can find hay that is NOT sprayed) I decided to try the shavings. So far, so good! I've run out of shavings so until I get back to town Monday I get to take a break. I wasn't sure how I'd like the look - but I'm ok with it so far. It's supposed to "darken" a bit with a couple of rains. I just really hope it helps keep the weeds down. I've spread paper feed sacks under it to help. Not sure how long it will take for the paper to break down, and then in turn, for the shavings to break down. But, time will tell.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used up all the shavings and most of the feed sacks that I had set back - and I'm STILL not finished. I'll pick up more shavings Monday. I have no plans of going to town tomorrow....actually have hardly any plans at all!

I disbudded a baby today. Intended to do two of 'em, but could NOT make myself do that itty, bitty baby even though she's 6 days old. Her tiny little head doesn't even have a hint of a bump yet and I'm sure the burner would overlap in the middle her head is so small! I'm gonna give her another week-ish.

We need rain. We're supposed to get rain. If we don't get any I'm gonna have to deep water that garden. It's thirsty!

I'm thirsty - wine time!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are getting rain and storms here. It was getting pretty dry in the garden and I had to use the soaker hose on the transplants I set out. I noticed some of my tomatoes didn't make it so I'll need to put some more out. I planted Kentucky Wonders and Kentucky Blue pole bean yesterday. I need to get my squash planted. I wanted to try planting it with some radish seed. Supposedly it's supposed to keep the squash borers away but Hollis of the Hollis and Nancy's Homestead says "not so"