Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This winter we bought 2 full size turkeys and transported them in a dog crate in my new (to me) Jeep. It was 15 degrees outside and they stunk SO BAD! I'll move goats in my car ANYTIME!

No that's not true. My Nigie doe peed and pooed all over the backseat (she like threw it out the side of her crate) and screamed for the 2 hour drive home. I'll never transport her in my car again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The worst thing I ever put in my truck was - COWBOY! He shat in there...it was horrible! I really need to work with him on loading and riding. But, more than that - I need to work on keeping his behind in the fence. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! He's been getting out again. I now have extended a whole bunch of my fence to over 6.5 feet. But, he's been easy to catch - seems to just want to be out front with us if that's where we are. Geeeeze this dog will be the death of me yet.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Lol he just needs to learn some manners, sounds like he may have a little separation anxiety

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish it were that easy! Even though today it was when DH was in front, it's not always when we are outside. This morning at 6:30 (on my day off when I SWORE I was gonna sleep until 7) he got into the "bad" neighbors yard. NOBody was outside at that time, lol. She saw, through her window, where he went over the fence so I fixed that spot. Later today he got out twice by jumping into the garden and then out of the garden. He's just a bad dog, lol! Actually, I think he just 'thinks' his area to guard is larger than the small acreage that we have available for him.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe so, bless him, he's just trying to be a good boy lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's been good about being caught because we praise him and praise him when he comes to us...maybe that's it lol. He really is a sweetie - and usually when I can catch him in any kind of bad behavior and explain it to him - he relents. But... this has been a challenge.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
He gets rewarded when he heels? Hmm...that could be the problem. Have you tried only praising him once he's back in his pen, rather than when he's "caught"?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yea - because he used to run off when we tried to catch him outside. But yes - he gets even more praise when we bring him back in the yard. Maybe we should be very neutral when we catch him and hold the praise for the yard... Will try that if he gets out tomorrow.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah because he may be thinking it's a game and when he wants attention that's what he does.