Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's eating really well now - but still has diarrhea. So, I did something that I don't do often...I'm treating her diarrhea. I usually don't because 9 times out of ten goats have diarrhea because they need to get something out of their system. This time I think it's because the Banamine may have irritated the lining of her gut - so she got some pink stuff tonight. She fought a little then decided she liked it! She has been THE BEST goat patient I've ever had. Love this goat!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's walking better...glad for that...but her tummy issues aren't resolved. At least she has a bit of an appetite and eats some feed, some leaves, and some hay - but not a lot. :hu

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
She's a keeper :love How is she doing now, FEM? I want to ask if her leg is going to heal up o.k. do you think, but I guess it's too early to tell yet.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's moving better and able to keep that foot in the correct position most of the time. Weird though - when she squats to pee the foot folds over again...just a positional thing I guess.

Appetite is still there which makes me very happy...didn't see any loose poo this morning either. But, that muscle in her leg where it was sewn back together is bunched up into a hard knot. The last couple times I flushed it I wasn't getting much of the medication back out of the hole. Makes me kinda wonder what's going on in there???

It's been almost 10 days now - so I'm thinking the stitches should come out by the two week mark. Vet didn't really specify and I didn't ask so I might be giving them a call.

Other than all that - life goes on... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My life is soooooo darn boring the last couple days. (thank goodness?) Monday and Tuesday were crazy since we were getting ready for the banquet Tuesday evening. Got past that - and it was a roaring success! WooHooo! S for the last two days all I do is go to work, stab my injured goat and milk two others . Wowzers! That's almost too much excitement, huh? LoL Maybe I was on adrenaline overload for a while there. I need to get re-adjusted to a slower pace :fl.

The garden is ...mmmm....how shall I say this - A HOT MESS! Still getting peppers...DH is grateful - he eats 'em at every meal. Eggplants are blooming like crazy, but I haven't looked close enough to see if there are any tiny eggs hanging on. Cucumbers are climbing up the arbor along with some crazy volunteer (or I spilled some seeds there) winter type squash. Really don't know what it is, but it's not doing well as far as setting fruit - but the plant itself is growing like crazy. I see blossoms and little squashes behind 'em, but then they rot. May or may not get anything off of those plants that are taking over the little garden area. The comfrey I planted in buckets is doing well. In fact, when the injured goat wasn't eating anything else - she'd eat a comfrey leaf.

I missed a milking (or two) last week when my life was so hectic and now I'm trying to play the "increase milk production" game. I'm milking twice a day again, at least for a few days to see if I can jump start production again.

Gonna try hard this year to have controlled breeding - and very few of those. Said that before haven't I? Maybe only breed a couple fist timers so I can see what kind of udder they're gonna have. Curiosity can be a baaaaaad thing, lol!

I'm off today - yay! Not tooo many free Fridays left. :( Gotta get something accomplished. Probably head out to mow before the afternoon rains set in...again... ugh!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Controlled breedings... Uh huh.... You might have too many bucks for controlled breedings lol!

How much milk are you getting? And what are you milking, Nubians?