Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear she's being cooperative with the treatments. I think she knows somehow that you are just trying to help her get better, poor thing.

Sorry to hear about the dehydrator flaking on you. Have you tried sun drying them? Just a thought… Where I used to live in S.A. a lot of people around me (and myself a bit) dried fruit and tomatoes (me) in the sun on wire trays. Ants and bugs were not a problem, so long as you can find a place away from critters and it's hot outside. I believe it is by you. We averaged 90-120+ temps and bone dry to boot, which made dehydrating nearly everything easy.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's definitely hot enough to dehydrate in the sun - EXCEPT for the bugs. I have heard about people dehydrating on the dash of their car. It would keep the bugs away for sure. I might have to give that a thought...

Woke up to two little fuzzy butts in the incubator. So glad that two hatched...I hate to get stuck with singles. I've got three out in the breezeway in a starter cage. Two are big enough to go outside, but I had a little one hatch about a week ago that needed some buddies. So, today the two big 'uns will probably be evicted and the two newest ones will go into the breezeway with the week old chick.

Think I'm gonna worm Cameo today too - along with her other treatments. Stress will definitely bring on a parasite bloom and she doesn't need any more problems. I fashioned a little splint for her leg last night. I used a piece of cardboard over some cotton padding and then some vet wrap over that. The cardboard may be too soft to do much supporting, but I wanted something soft. She stood perfectly still after I put it on her so I haven't even seen if it works. That'll be the first thing I check this morning.

I'm being a slug and enjoying my coffee before I go out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goatie girl had a rough day today. Not sure if she was just ticked off at me for the splint or it caused her more pain. She decided to go on a hunger strike...wouldn't even eat a leaf. I gave her some probiotics and an injection of b-complex and by this evening she would scarf down some pine needles but not much else. She had maybe 3 pellets from her dinner and a few elm leaves too....but that's about it. I went ahead and took off the splint and she's actually walking better...just not eating. Sigh...

I put the two oldest chicks outside and even though they just hid for the first couple hours - by this evening they were fitting in pretty well. They've broken into a run that has some layers in it. They fit right through the fence and nobody seems to object to the arrangement so I'm gonna leave 'em alone. Had three little ones hatch over the course of the day and I think I hear another one peeping in the 'bator. Maybe have another one by tomorrow morning.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Keeping fingers crossed for a good and quick recovery for the poor girl. She must be hurting, shame, but she's taking all this so well.

Congrats on the chicks!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cameo still wasn't eating Saturday and just to make things better she developed raging diarrhea. Joy... More probiotics, more B-complex and by Saturday evening I was more than worried. She hadn't eaten anything since Friday morning except for about 3 leaves and two little pieces of carrot.

I've been worried about the oral Banamine - not sure why it bothered me so much - so I stopped it. Didn't give her the dex either....totally skipped everything Saturday evening except her antibiotics. Didn't even flush the wound (but I had flushed it that morning). Woke up this morning and checked on her - and she about knocked me down getting to some feed. She didn't eat it all, but she ate with gusto. I'm glad she didn't 'over-do' it because I don't want her tummy stressed too much. Her behind looks clean, so I'm hoping the diarrhea is over too - I need to watch her some more to see what's really going on. It stormed outside yesterday so I didn't get out much. I didn't even milk. So, I've got a couple does who are not happy with me right now. I need to get out there and give them some relief.

Chicks have been hatching like crazy....I think I've got 8 or 9...I need to count 'em. My plan was to put 'em back under a hen if I got any hatched - but now I'm too worried to leave it to chance. I'll just raise 'em inside until they get big enough to go out I guess. And I'm so excited - one of 'em is a Naked Neck! I thought you had to have two Nekkid parents to get a nekkid baby - but guess I was wrong.

It'll prolly rain more this afternoon so I need to get everything done this morning. Glad I mowed yesterday morning before the rain!

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Just stopped quickly to see how Cameo's doing. So glad she's eating!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay sounds like your instinct was right, glad she's at least eating. Hope she continues to improve!

Congrats on all those chicks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Good job sis! Glad she's on the right path to recovery now!!