Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You've been super busy!! I was today too. Loooonnnggg day here...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always something to keep ya busy around here, lol. Did inside chores a lot yesterday - yuck. But, a person can only do so much laundry before ya can think of something outside that needs to be done! So, I got laundry done and yard mowed too...along with other boring household chores...ugh.

How much milk are you getting? And what are you milking, Nubians?
Sorry for the late response - not sure how I missed this...

I'm milking one Nubian and one Kinder (mother and daughter actually) I was previously getting a bit over a gallon most days - just milking in the evening. Generally I only bring in a gallon a day - anything extra I poured out for the chickens/dogs - whoever got it first.

With my hectic last week or so I missed or extended time between milkings and production dropped to about a half-gallon a day. So, since Thursday I've been milking them twice a day just to stimulate them to produce more milk. This morning I got half gallon, and last night I got a little over a half gallon - so if you add up the two a day milkings now I'm getting over a gallon a day again. I think when I switch back to once a day milkings production should level out at about the same amount. I'll keep the two a days up until tomorrow evening.

Even though I do get tired of milking - I'd like to milk these two does through and not breed them this fall. We will see how it goes! If nothing else, I'd like to get a good amount of milk in the freezer. I've thought about canning some to use in coffee. I know the taste would be like canned milk (duh) but I don't mind that in coffee and I could still cook with it too.

DH wanted to go to town and get a new faucet for his bathroom, but I convinced him he could fix this one - so he did. It just needed some lubricant on the little stopper thingy... lol. Technical, huh?

Not much else going on. Hanging out to see if it rains today - we dodged it yesterday. Yay! Hope we get that lucky again today.

Happy Saturday ya'll.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A gallon a day is a great amount. Although I bet your pigs would like it if you got way more than that to donate to their cause!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A gallon a day is a great amount. Although I bet your pigs would like it if you got way more than that to donate to their cause!

:lol: Mine always did!!

Glad your doe is healing well. The lump you say you see/feel in muscle may just be the healing process and will not be that way once time has allowed it to complete, then reuse will help it. Maybe?

I managed to get mine wormed yesterday. :ya Not milking right now but four does are still nursing a doeling each. Since they are 5 months old now :hide the production is still there. LOL After next weeks heavy work schedule, I hope I can separate those little suckers (literally) and milk some for a while. Replenish milk supply, etc. I'd like to milk one thru if the milk is there. The mother to these 3 never wanted to dry up! Maybe they will be similar. At least one of them. :idunno

It's been too hot here for fruit to set -- and if it did, often too much water to keep it developing (squash). My tomatoes are blooming their hearts out -- little fruit setting but, tomatoes from couple weeks ago. Will get more when it cools off. Weather!!! Grass sure grows :he

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We actually hit a dry spell for a few days and the grass has held off growing but we got a storm yesterday so....I'll be back to mowing Wednesday or Thursday. Thankfully we will be dipping to the low 90's toward the end of the week so maybe it won't be so hot. Humidity was 100% this morning...made 75 degrees feel like 90 already..yuckness!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've gotten a little bit of a break in the form of a huge Saharan Dust storm... go figger! It's kinda like a big ol' dust cloud and it's breaking the worst of the sun from hitting. I'm not complaining - except for the dusty air. Something about 'air quality' and stuff - who needs clean air, lol!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Things have a way of getting hectic around here.

I took the stitches outta the goats leg - it's been 12 days. Wouldn't ya know it - it opened up a little bit right in the middle of the suture line...geeze. However - it makes flushing it easier lol. I can flush from the top OR the bottom now...

I took today off for someone to come look at critters...and hopefully purchase some. Wouldn't ya know that I got stood up! GRRRRR! I hate it when people do that - especially when I waste a vacation day on their sorry a$$es!