Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've already got that figured out, lol. Stairlift! But, have an alternate plan to that one also. I figure I've got another 15 years in this house if the health holds out!

So not only are you in the market for a ground floor bedroom and bathroom, but you are in the market for higher elevation too! :lol::lol:

Are you kidding? If we get through this one with no water in the house - that's the best reason for staying!;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I agree about master bedroom and full bathroom on main level. DH was 36 when we bought this place and I was adamant in house criteria while houseshopping that we need master bedroom, bathroom, and laundry all on the main floor. Thankfully we found just that, with a working barn, sheep pasture fencing set up, established plantings, hunting forest, an tillable land too! Idyllic! I hope we never have to move!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Funny how when you're young your "list" is a whole lot different than when you gain a few years. When we bought this place we had very young children and I didn't want to be on a different floor than they were on. It was part of the criteria that we used when looking for a house, lol. I've been in this house for 30 years and this is the first time I've ever wished it to be any different than it is.

However, we have a large two car garage and breezeway that we could turn into a huge master suite or even two more nice sized bedrooms with an additional living area if necessary. We could put in a stair lift...in fact we could even put in an elevator, lol. There are many, many options.

Right now - all I'm concerned about is that it stay dry!

Went for a drive this afternoon. While the water in our yard went down...there is now water over our little road, the road between our little road and the hwy and the hwy itself. Water has breached them all for the first time during all this mess. My biggest worry during this is that we will get all the water moving south towards the bay. Who knows? But the road overages sure tend to make me think that's already happening.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It isn't over. When the water shifts, & it will as the rain moves along and keeps filling land & rivers, it has to "go somewhere". And the water is contaminated -- at this point, who knows what is floating out there. These events leave devastation that is not on some peoples minds right now, understandably. Jobs -- many business will be closed. Clean up can't happen until water recedes. Domino effects.

Those who do not have insurance will be hard pressed to stay or walk away. Most do NOT have flood insurance, most probably, and their homeowners will not pay. The aftermath of this event will be a nightmare for years. FEMA is slow and with so many thousands of homes, it just cannot happen quickly. Food kitchens will be there for months just because there are no stores, no homes, no utilities, no gas, no building supplies, only desperation. Generators will be stolen, looting will happen. This is a SHTF event.

Hopefully, your own house will be safe but that doesn't mean surrounding areas won't be changed dramatically.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looting is already happening in Houston. This sort of event does make you realize how much better off we are in the country than in the city.

FEM I do hope the water doesn't come back to flood you out!

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We've been blessed in that, even w/the worst flooding in this area from a hurricane, we were not cut off and there were no evacuations. It was a bit hard to navigate as there were many roads closed, but we're high enough that it wasn't a problem. We had no water in our house. My parents had some in their basement, but it wasn't bad.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This has been....an event that I'd like not to repeat any time soon. We took the full brunt of hurricane Ike and I'd rather do that 5 more times than deal with what has been going on in this area for the last 5 days.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just looked at a national weather map to see where the storm is headed and where it is now and it showed Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama. Lol! Somehow they missed Arkansas and Mississippi.

FEM, how are your parents and your brother doing? Any recent news? And how is DH's eyesight? I'm glad to hear that so far you're safe.
@baymule, how are your family doing?

Latest posts