Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM, praying that the water stays out of your house, but if it does take water, I hope it won't be too deep. No damage is the best, but a little damage sure beats the heck out of a totally ruined home.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Harvey will move away from you.

636395543201673805-082917-harvey-monday-8pm-ONLINENEW.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes - we just have to survive until it does! They've said if we can make it until tomorrow evening that worst of it will subside.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're going to get through this. I really think you will make it without water in your house. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm feeling better about it. We have had a good 10 hours of rain today. Supposed to last until tomorrow afternoon I think. I don't even know. The water has breached the end of the drive by the road. The ditch just extended itself over the drive along with going through the culvert underneath. We're about to head to bed for a few hours. Alarm set to check around 3am. Fingers crossed that we might get through this with just a bunch of mud! :fl

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, I'm so glad to hear your family is safe! Praying you all will get through the night o.k. and the weather will turn soon. Praying and thinking of you all over there :hugs Thank you for taking the time to update and let us know how you're doing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM, I'm so glad to hear your family is safe! Praying you all will get through the night o.k. and the weather will turn soon. Praying and thinking of you all over there :hugs Thank you for taking the time to update and let us know how you're doing.
Thanks @sumi ! Thanks to everyone! Went to bed last night with water closer to the house than it has ever been. Forecast was for 24 to 36 more hours of rain. DH woke up and checked on the water levels through the night because I was just simply exhausted. Even though I stretched out the work - carrying everything up stairs yesterday caught up with me and I was about to crumble. He wanted to help, but not supposed to pick up more than 5 lbs for 10 days after surgery. We are past that ten days, but I still didn't think he should push it.

First thing I did when I woke up this morning was to check the water level. I had pushed a branch in the ground last night around midnight to mark where the water was. This morning - water isn't anywhere NEAR that branch. The water receded last night! I'll try to get pics later. We are getting some stiff wind - not hurricane force - but pretty significant.

I'm going to sit here and enjoy this cup of coffee before I get started on today's chore. When my parents/brother/sis-in-law were evacuated water was up to their porch. I haven't heard anything about how bad it got after that. They had been told to expect a two foot rise. If that is the case - and I can only assume it is - my parents will not be able to go back to their house. The only thing I can come up with is to bring them here. Problem with that is that I have NO downstairs bedrooms and NO full bath downstairs. That will be an issue. They simply cannot climb stairs.

I will start cleaning out the breezeway today so that we can put up a bed there. The breezeway has been used for nothing but storage practically forever. It's not part of the main house so there's no central air/heat there but we can cool it with a window unit. There is one in there now, but it's old and not working well. I can pick up another one at Wal-mart when they open back up. Not sure we can make this a permanent solution - but it will have to do for awhile.

So much to do....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is wonderful news about the water receding! Gosh, I hope it's going to continue doing so now. I'd say for now hang tight with your parents and see how bad things did get there, before you start worrying and preparing for them. Hopefully, hopefully, it won't be necessary for them to move :fl I may be hoping for a miracle now, but anything is possible?

Take care of you! :hugs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A house without a full bath and bedroom on ground floor is not a good one to retire in. One of these days you might not be able to make it up the stairs. My sister and BIL (evacuated) have 4 bedrooms upstairs, but a master and full bath downstairs.

So not only are you in the market for a ground floor bedroom and bathroom, but you are in the market for higher elevation too! :lol::lol:

Latest posts