Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank goodness for pasture! I really don't feed that much 'feed'. Probably a 5 gallon bucket of feed a day...with just a little extra for the milkers on the stand. But, after (if) we get a hard freeze, that will probably double because I'll feed twice a day in that case. The last couple years we've had such mild winters that the goats browsed year round. Time will tell if that happens this year or not - but I've got plenty of hay if I need it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:hide My goats are so spoiled. I think I am not very cost effective about the way I raise them. If I had a LGD, I have 4 solid acres of brush they could eat... (actually I could use my parents' adjoining land... Which is currently 35 acres and also mostly woods and brush) But it's a little too coyote friendly out there.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - it would be nice to be able to utilize the extra acres. Maybe one of those electric netting thingys? I'm so technical, lol. Hopefully, you WILL haven an LGD in the future. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, like you guys, I can register but no one wants to pay xtra in most cases. Now, shows are where you find those who are really, really looking for that. All I can say is this -- the butcher does NOT care and a 'steader who wants milk, wants MILK...good milk, not papers so much. Marketability.

At this point in my life, keeping & paying for paperwork is not where I want to be -- unless I want the time & expense of marketing, showing, promotion, etc. Just let me milk, hug and grow some tomatoes & squash!! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with ya @Mini Horses! I have my critters for MY joy, lol. I don't care if anybody understands it or okays it or agrees with it or gives a crap! It's my thing and I deserve a "thing"!

I think I am not very cost effective about the way I raise them
I could sure do better in that department. After retirement I'm gonna have to get really cut-throat (maybe literally) about who/what/how many I keep around.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol we all deserve a "thing". We have a friend who is mixing the most random chickens together to see what happens, and another friend trying to make a new pig breed (not like officially, just for fun). DH is trying to make a better meat breed. Makes them all happy!

The reason I am so cut throat about culling is that since I am a stay at home mom, and though I love my animals, they need to benefit me and the family, or they're taking money away from other things that we need. It's hard, I have to admit!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All this registration talk- made me remember I haven't sent in Clifford's paperwork yet. Have that ready to go out today. I mean, he's registerable so why not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I
though I love my animals, they need to benefit me and the family, or they're taking money away from other things that we need.
Totally understand - and that's how I will have to be in a couple years. Should start that now - but I'm too lazy to pick the goats I wanna keep, lol!

Yep, might as well go ahead and send the papers in...:)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never a dull moment around here. Major pig fight today, lol. Not sure why these two guys decided to go after each other today - but they did! I stood and took pictures for a few minutes and they never let up! There was no food out - no reason that I could see...but they sure were ticked off about something and fought until they were totally out of breath and huffing hard!