Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been trying to upload a pic - but no luck tonight. Maybe it'll cure itself and I can post pics later!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
October and Pigs 147 (3).JPG
Nope...well at least as far as I know. These are the little guys that I moved into the garden area. The bigger boar and the females are all together and I haven't seen anything to indicate the sows are in heat...I'm guessing they're probably bred. Just what I need - more pigs, lol. But, I've got one on the short list and these two boys will probably go a few months after the other one.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok - that was a first. It loaded from my phone but wouldn't load from my computer. Gremlins!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was kind of cute, lol - but they were so serious and making horrible nightmare inducing noises, lol. I don't even remember how old they are - they're probably pushing 50 lbs. They were born this summer, but without looking it up I can't even tell ya.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Boys feeling hormones and wanting to be the #1 in the pen :hu I don't recall ever having fights amongst my pigs and I kept males together.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I told DH they were fighting to see who had the biggest cajones, lol.

Had a tiny little heart attack this morning. I looked out the upstairs window at the pasture and could see something very still and very black laying in the pasture. My heart dropped... just knew it was my old pygmy doe. I walked out side dreading every step and what's even worse as I got closer I could see a little movement... that made it even worse because I was thinking I was going to have to be the "finisher" and I hate that. Did I mention it was very foggy this morning...and still not full sun-up. As I got closer I started getting suspicious and finally figured out that I was darn near in tears over a black trash bag laying in the pasture. Don't know where it came from but it's been a little windy lately. We don't use plastic trash bags so it had to migrate here. Sure glad I didn't have to put it out of it's misery, lol!!

My major chore for the day is to build/repair/replace the fence across the back of my pasture. We have replaced every fence around my place , EXCEPT for the back section of my original fence. I walked out and looked at it the other day when I was looking for Cowboy's latest escape hatch. It was all up, but so rusty that if you breathe on it there's major damage, lol. This is the original fence that was put up over 30 years ago when we first bought this place. So, it's time.

I had thought I would get a couple more weeks out of it...maybe until Thanksgiving break which would have given me a little more time to get myself (and supplies) together. Don't have that time now because when I didn't see Cowboy this morning I happened to catch movement out of the corner of my eye WAY back at the end of my pasture. But, on closer inspection that movement came from the OTHER side of my back fence. That turd must have breathed on it a little harder than he should have because there's a major breakdown there now. He could (and goats, horses, and pigs could too if they found it) walk right through it. I've already got cattle panels and some extra metal posts drug out there to start. Forgot my fence pliers and wire cutters so came back up to re-stock on tools and get back out there. Doesn't help that it's HOTTER THAN it should be and humid, miserable, and just downright YUCKY out there already.

YAY! Happy Saturday ya'll...

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah darn trash bag! Glad all your critters are good!

Have fun fencing. I might be building a pig fence today, lol. We'll have a happy fencing day. Only 68 or so here though (super warm for October!), I don't envy your hot weather in October!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I took the two extra cattle panels that I had just laying around and got them out to the back. I covered the hole that Cowboy made in the fence...and a little more. I only need about 6 panels to get done what I want done.

I'm in the process of taking down some panels that I had put up for smaller chicken pens back when I was breeding purebred chicks. I don't use those anymore so I might as well take those panels down and use them. It'll make it easier to mow in there anyway!

But, there's nothing easy about taking them down. First, they have welded wire attached to them because otherwise no stinkin' chicken would have ever stayed in there. Then they were attached to all the supporting structures like the side of a shelter, the fence posts but they are most firmly attached to the ground. GRRRRRR! I'm having a harder time getting the bottom up out of the dirt and grass than anything else. I've got one totally down and the other one un-attached from everything except the dirt/grass. I'll use a pry bar to get it out of there, but right now I needed to hydrate...so hot out there.

Got a little sidetracked playing with the horses. I had a water hose out and was filling up some buckets when one of the mini's decided it was bath time for her! This gal has always been a water baby and loves, loves, loves to play in the water. So, we played in the water, lol! She got hosed down and I got hosed down too.

Need to grab a bite to eat and another glass of something wet and then get back out there. I'd like to get this job finished today. :fl