Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope your chick comes out ok!

Ugh I know how he feels with the glasses. I've been there, it's an awful feeling, every time you turn your head it's like a roller coaster ride. He'll get used to them though, and he'll be thrilled! And much safer to be driving, of course.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with NH on the glasses.....plus, you learn to not make fast moves for the first few days! It may cause headaches for a few days, too. BUT -- all worth it to just SEE AGAIN!! Gotta be a real relief for DH.

Chicks...hmmm...Momma hen will probably take care of it. My ONE chick is doing well :oops: mom is fierce and I sure hope this single is a HEN..:p. Another hen is broody, fighting me and trying to hatch a piece of plastic. I MAY throw some eggs under her -- she is so very determined. Yeah, late in year but, what the heck...she'll warm them...plus if not laying you must be doing something productive.

Cool 35 here this AM...up to 55 now with great sunshine. 70 for high predicted. We have that rain moving in for Sunday (My day OFF :mad: -- of course!) But "they say" only in AM & I'm off Monday. So much to do out there....

Still milking one of my does 1X a day (two more still in milk) and she gives me such wonderful milk, just like her mom did. "Brat" has turned into a great gal for me...a rascal as young & the nickname stuck! I will milk her a while, breed and really work to make her a full time milker this coming Spring. Her current daughter -- Saanen/Nub is a beauty, so will be retained. Both full sized. This goes to next step ---

Plan to buy a milker like you have this year. Is yours still a happy situation at milking?? LOL
I want to work 4-5 does into milking daily so...planning ahead. Have a couple people asking about milk and I "MAY" work a goat herd share with them -- if it isn't a big issue for ME with pick-up & delivery. A couple are egg customers, so ..... may do. They want raw and love my cheeses.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really hope to get some chicks for fresh layers in the spring. If there are live chicks under her this evening I'll put them and mom in a cage in hopes to keep the babies alive. Something has taken a huge toll on chicks this year - only had about a half dozen survive out of probably 18 or more that hatched. Not sure if it's rats or coons or some goblin, lol. (The LGD's don't usually stay in the front barnyard with the chickens.)I know Gracie has taken a toll on them because if they go through the fence into HER yard they are fair game in her mind. So, I will make more of an effort to keep these alive. I will probably pull any eggs that don't hatch with the others and incubate them because all the other hens kept laying in the broody nest. Much easier to let someone else hatch your eggs than do all the work yourself, lol! OR - since I have another broody that's sitting on nothing I could put the remaining eggs under her. She is one of only two hens that actually raised surviving chicks this year - and she is a force to be reckoned with! Would NOT want her mad at me. I want more like her - she's a Naked Neck - and while U.G.L.Y - she's a great hen!

Raining now... ugh!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's cold here, in the 50's and down to 36 tonight. Very windy, overcast and gloomy. I am so glad that summer is over!

I hope you have some good luck with your chicks/eggs. Now that the muscovies have stopped laying, one has gone broody, commandeered the dog house and is setting on.......nothing. :th

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had three chicks when I got home this evening. Looks like two black orpingtons and one lavender....course they could be crosses but that's the colors I've got right now. I think I'm going to go out and bring the three chicks in and put them in t he incubator overnight. Mom won't know they're gone and I can tuck 'em back under her in the morning. Think I'll put them all in a wire cage tomorrow. Hate to do it because what's cuter than a broody and her babies running around? BUT, I need new young layers for spring. I actually had to buy eggs today-how much does that suck when I've got tons of chickens out there?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay broody! Yeah, no sense in not having replacements! I've been buying eggs on and off, it's annoying isn't it??

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi FEM, :frow
I'm just catching up on your last three weeks. Wow, I'm sorry for the new trouble with DH's eyes! Are the glasses helping? Are you feeling better? Last night I read about you taking the expired Motrin, and I went to check our medicine cabinet. Some of it was from 2008! :eek: I cleaned it out. I can't remember the last time I've taken an aspirin or similar product but I know my husband does.
I hope you got all the fencing issues taken care of now. Did cowboy stay in the yard today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey FEM! You're busy over here! I miss my chickens....I don't remember ever having a broody hen, ducks yes, chickens...not so much. Wish I had one right now!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey MMD - the expired Motrin didn't kill me, lol. DH finally got glasses and is much better...whew! Fencing is done for awhile I hope...except for whatever re-configuring I might decide to do at any time. Cowboy has stayed in the yard for more than a few days now! :)

WBF! Life is like a box of chocolates, lol! Lots to do, never ending chores, lots of rewards, lots of challenges, and life goes on. Good to see ya, sis!

I brought the three chicks inside for the night. I'm DETERMINED that these will make it to laying or butchering stage one way or another!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been shuffling the chicks in at night and out in the morning. Mama hen takes em right back with no problems - thank goodness!
Hatched one quail.... how did I know this was gonna happen! :barnie I have some more eggs incubating so hopefully in a few days it'll have a buddy. Hopefully... I'm contemplating putting it with the chicks and seeing if it'll hang out with them. Mama hen decided to set in a big ol' sink I have in the barn. It's pretty deep and I don't think the quail baby could jump out of it...but not sure how mom would take to it or if it would just get squished.

Prolly just keep it in until I have a better idea lol.

Started a fencing project this morning. I have always had welded wire over the spaces in the stock panels and over the years it's just gotten raggedy and rusted and came apart and got knocked off and any matter of other things. That's why the little pygmy buck is running the pasture. That's also why the Nigi doeling is probably bred to the Nubian buck - argh! She will be getting a shot of lutalyse - BUT - I need to have the fencing issue resolved before I do that or she'll just crawl her hussy self right back in there the next time she's in heat. Got a fairly decent bit of it done - but I just don't have the time to spend outside that I've had previously. I'm learning to do things in dribs and drabs these days.

I could go get some more done - but somehow my butt got plopped down in front of the Texans game, lol. Not sure how long my butt will want to sit here. Probably will have something to do with how they play.

Go Texans!