Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even smaller and bouncier - button quail chicks. I swear they're hardly larger than your thumbnail and as soon as you open the incubator - they EXPLODE outta there, lol. I used to go chasing them all over the house until I learned to set the incubator inside a wire cage that we built just for that! Coolest little things though and I could sell 'em for $5.00 a pop at a trade day/chicken swap.

Maybe I ought to look into that again. I never really understood WHY they sold so well. Some people would put them in their green houses to eat bugs. Mostly because they're a novelty I guess - certainly not big enough to eat!

View attachment 2730

A friend of mine up the road raises quails I want to say Egyptian but I can't be for sure if that the kind or not. He has 1000s of them in his quail house and sells both the eggs and dressed quail to high end restaurants.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, I'm envying you all that gardening too! lol With my arm still not healed I can't go digging in the soil at the moment. But I may do something soon…. I'll see.

How is DH now and are you sleeping better?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my kind of gardening weather!! It's so much more enjoyable than when the weather is 100+. I checked on everything this morning and all is well - EXCEPT one of the chickens I tossed out of there the other day keeps going back in. Today she was evicted again and moved into a different area in a pen with the Barred Hollands. She's gonna stay there until she forgets about sneaking into the garden.

So excited that my peas are popping up. Hope I find time today to get more planted. Still have to get the cabbages in the ground too. These cool weather plants are appreciative of this cool weather too.

@sumi - Yes, I am enjoying that thing called sleep again. I've turned off the door chime that kept waking me up but now I don't know what goes on downstairs at night. My mom wanders all night. She doesn't try to leave the house, but she gets up and does the strangest things. This morning I found the orange juice in cabinet where we store glasses and not in the refrigerator where it should be. But, there was an empty glass in the refrigerator, lol. Guess she just switched 'em around.

DH is feeling better - not feverish anymore, but has one of those cough that promises to hang around for a week or so. Ugh.

@CrealCritter - if they look like the bird below they go by many names. I've heard them called lots of different names like Pharaoh Quail, Egyptian, and Coturnix. They're pretty easy to raise (if you keep the cage door shut, lol).

upload_2017-11-19_9-3-49.jpeg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Put a few peas in your pocket and pop them into the ground when you go out there. They'll grow :) Glad to hear you are sleeping and DH is feeling better and even more that you didn't seem to have caught what he had!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put a few peas in your pocket and pop them into the ground when you go out there. They'll grow :)
Got a pocket full of peas right now! I finally got the rest of the started plants in the ground this morning. This afternoon I'll be planting more peas and some collards from seed. Gonna go dig through my seeds and see if I have anything else that I can plant this time of year.

I spent a little time going through one of the freezers yesterday and found the fixin's for a big pot of soup. I'm gonna get that going and then get back outside. It is a gorgeous day....clear blue skies, lotsa sunshine, strong breezes....the kinda day you want to save until February, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my kind of gardening weather!! It's so much more enjoyable than when the weather is 100+. I checked on everything this morning and all is well - EXCEPT one of the chickens I tossed out of there the other day keeps going back in. Today she was evicted again and moved into a different area in a pen with the Barred Hollands. She's gonna stay there until she forgets about sneaking into the garden.

So excited that my peas are popping up. Hope I find time today to get more planted. Still have to get the cabbages in the ground too. These cool weather plants are appreciative of this cool weather too.

@sumi - Yes, I am enjoying that thing called sleep again. I've turned off the door chime that kept waking me up but now I don't know what goes on downstairs at night. My mom wanders all night. She doesn't try to leave the house, but she gets up and does the strangest things. This morning I found the orange juice in cabinet where we store glasses and not in the refrigerator where it should be. But, there was an empty glass in the refrigerator, lol. Guess she just switched 'em around.

DH is feeling better - not feverish anymore, but has one of those cough that promises to hang around for a week or so. Ugh.

@CrealCritter - if they look like the bird below they go by many names. I've heard them called lots of different names like Pharaoh Quail, Egyptian, and Coturnix. They're pretty easy to raise (if you keep the cage door shut, lol).

View attachment 5340
Yep those are the ones and they are delicious also.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It doesn't get much better eating than those little quail...we love 'em! Hopefully, we'll have some to munch on around Christmas.

I did get a bunch more planting done today....it's enough for today...maybe. I want to dig through the seeds and see if I have any more turnip seeds...or rutabagas...or kohlrabi (never grown it but I think it's a cool season crop). So far no more errant chickens have been caught in the area. That's a good thing.

Big ol' pot of beef/veggie soup on the stove and I'm gonna make some creamy, corny, cheesy cornbread to go with it. Yum!

About to go finish up outside and then come inside and chow down!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a pocket full of peas right now! I finally got the rest of the started plants in the ground this morning. This afternoon I'll be planting more peas and some collards from seed. Gonna go dig through my seeds and see if I have anything else that I can plant this time of year.

I spent a little time going through one of the freezers yesterday and found the fixin's for a big pot of soup. I'm gonna get that going and then get back outside. It is a gorgeous day....clear blue skies, lotsa sunshine, strong breezes....the kinda day you want to save until February, lol.

You must be in the deep South to be sowing seed this time of the year.