Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey at least you got some sleep! Codeine induced but it's sleep! Eww to the instant mashed potatoes. I don't feel the need to wreck my diet over mashed potatoes. I'll save my sugar rule breaking for stuffing and pie thanks, lol

Hope everyone woke up and maybe someone helped you get ready for turkey day! Happy mini vacation!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Sleep was good, but I woke up wondering what, if anything, that I'd missed. Glad to report that all was well this morning except the usual. Mom uses every glass in the house overnight. I've tried to convince her take a glass/bottle of water in the bedroom with her and keep it on her bedside table. She does that when I 'insist' but then she forgets about it anyway. Guess I can't change a lifetime of habits.

DH and I don't even eat mashed potatoes - too carby....so if DS wants them nasty instant ones - he can have 'em, lol! I'm like you - I'm gonna 'spend' my carbs on something more worthy.

DH finally got up and right now he's in the kitchen cleaning up the mess I already made. He's good about cleaning up after me. I'm a messy cook - even though I'm trying to get better about cleaning up as I go.

Peeled all the eggs a minute ago and I'm about to make the "deviled" filling. Will go ahead and get the pumpkin cheesecake going too. I really want to pre-do as much as I can so that tomorrow is easier.

Back at it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! I've practically got everything done. A couple simple things to do tomorrow and we will be good to go. Dh's brother is coming from Tennessee and DH will go and spend some time with them at his mom's place. Then on Saturday my son is doing a little dinner at his house so I'll sneak away for that. I'll miss getting together with DD and the grandkids though... hopefully we can find a way to get together sometime during the season, but just not sure right now when we can make that happen. She needs to move closer!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are some perks for working there pay isn't one of them, lol!

I have a job like this!! LOL But, my perks are free wine, food & often appliances! Keurig coffee pot, Foodsaver vac sealer, air fryer, crockpots, etc. Nice -- esp the wine!

Mashed potatoes are instant, :hide and will cook quickly tomorrow

So, not all of them are bad! The Idahoan Homestyle are pretty good :hide . Only me here, so MUCH faster, plus seldom eaten so the dehydrated pkg is great!

Sounds like your Thanksgiving dinner is well on the way and huge. Of course, we "moms" always make enough to "send home" with the kids. Just wait, one day you won't have to cook, just go eat & BRING leftovers home :lol: A new concept. This year I am not cooking, not even going to a dinner (although invited). Yep, I am home enjoying a day off and "away" from people. I've worked 10 days straight and have today & tomorrow "off". These will be farm work days! DS & DD are eating with others. Good. At 48 & 50, they are old enough to just do their own thing. :p I am going to cook a large turkey Sunday (my day off & designated to cook & enjoy time), that will be used for a lot of meals that I will enjoy thawing & eating later. Plus I will give a lot of meat to DD for she & DGrD to eat. Works!

Hope you & everyone else enjoys what sounds like a great meal!!! ENJOY.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok - I gotta agree with @Mini Horses ...Idahoan Homestyle instant are not bad. We had butter and herb I think....and with some super outstanding gravy on top they were pretty tasty. Kinda surprised.

I say it every year - I make too much food. Two days of cooking for 20 minutes of eating... geeze. It didn't sound like too much....turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, fruit salad, deviled eggs and rolls. Oh, and low carb pumpkin cheesecake, and chocolate satin pie. Left out brussels sprouts, squash, green salad and multiple other desserts that we used to require at any major holiday gathering. But, we will have leftovers for quite a while.

Some of the stuff I cook just because I've got picky eaters. Ham for DH cuz he doesn't like turkey. Mashed potatoes for DS/DDiL cuz they don't eat anything. Green beans because most of 'em except DH and me don't like Brussel sprouts. Next year I swear it'll be quail and stuffing and that's all, lol!

Probably make some stock tomorrow and can it up...OR....I'm kinda tired of being in the kitchen right now so maybe freeze it until I get around to canning it. I dunno.... too tired to think, lol!

The lute shot worked on the Nigi doeling.

Heard a quail chick a peeping in the incubator a minute ago, so maybe we'll get something outta this hatch. I refuse to go look or count until tomorrow. I didn't think they were due until tomorrow anyway.

Gonna check eyelids tomorrow...might or might not need to do any worming. We got into the 30's last night but it warmed up quickly and was a bee-you-teeful day!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quail and stuffing sounds good lol! I just told DH we should just eat venison stew next year- it's right in the middle of deer season anyway right?

Hope you all had a nice day, excessive cooking or not! Glad the lute worked for you too, she might have been angry but she could have been WAY more upset come spring!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is pretty good, simple and easy. Venison stew sounds good too. I've got my fingers crossed that I might be gifted some venison. Was talking to my (good) neighbors last night and they've been racking up venison right and left along with several hogs. AND, he left again to go hunting again today. I asked him if he had enough freezer space for all that and he said he might have to start giving it away.....:fl:fl:fl Oh, and they already gave me a little baggie of jerky - YUM! I gave them eggs last night, so I think I'll take 'em some more AND some milk and see if that helps my cause, lol!

Latest posts