Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And some goat cheese? :rolleyes:
I should, huh? Haven't even made cheese lately. :(

Woohoo - woke up to some baby quail this morning! I had maybe 10 or 11 eggs in the 'bator. Without opening the 'bator for an exact count, it looks like maybe 7 or 8. :fl Hard to count the little buggers when they're moving in and around the other eggs. I've got another batch of quail eggs in there that should hatch in a week or so and maybe close to a dozen chicken eggs too.

I've been thinking about just biting the bullet and buying a brooder/grow cage to simplify my life! I'm tired of worrying about heat lamps and critters jumping out of the totes that I use now. Merry Christmas to me?

I'm browsing the Target website. If you spend more than $50.00 today (maybe for a couple days) you get 20% off of ANYTHING coupon. Not a bad deal. I'm looking at a new toaster oven. Mine works fine - but the stupid door won't stay closed. In order to use it - I have to prop something against the door, lol. It goes against everything I believe by replacing something that isn't technically broken, but I don't use it as much as I would like to because of that.
Anyway - I'm all about the 'deal'.

Need to get offa the computer and get busy...Happy Friday, ya'll!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay baby quail! Glad you'll have some replacements!

We have 2 brooders. They're kind of awesome and kind of annoying, definitely like them for meat birds. Wish you were closer, I'd let you use one. We very rarely need both of them!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ended up with 9 quail from 11 eggs....not bad. I need to candle the chicken eggs though cuz I think I smelled something stinky when I opened the 'bator...ugh!

Got mom and dad out on the back porch for awhile this afternoon...hope that will help mom's sundowner syndrome. Going to look into some full-spectrum light bulbs too.

I've narrowed down my quest for a brooder/grow pen to two choices. Any opinions?

https://www.ruralking.com/poultry-box-type-brooder-110-v.html
https://www.ruralking.com/brooder.html

Price is not the deciding factor...I just can't tell if there are significant differences to account for the price difference - except maybe the poly feeder and drinker included...and that one is on legs. Wish there was an option to do a side by side comparison... I need to decide by tomorrow to get the Black Friday 10% discount.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ours is almost exactly like the first one. Works great but I don't know about using it for quail. Speaking of which... Someone offered to give us like 6 quail. Will you educate me??

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awesome - cuz that's the one I think I'm gonna get...I'm gonna add in the game bird feeder and waterer. I think for those tiny little chicks that'll be the best way to start them out.

Do you know what kind of quail they are offering? If they're the Coturnix I'd say go for it! I know absolutely nothing about any other quail breeds. There are dozens of different color variations within the Coturnix breed. Some claim that they have the Jumbo Coturnix - and yes, some are bigger than others, but the difference might only amount to a few ounces. I don't think the other 'wilder' quail, like Bobwhites or are daily layers like the Coturnix are....and the eggs are a big (ok, little) consideration, lol. They're darn tasty!

The very best edumacation I can offer is to close the cage door, lol!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are coturnix, and I'll keep an eye on the door lol! What do they need for a cage, do they use nest boxes? I know like NOTHING about quail!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have all wire hanging type cages...most of 'em I threw together out of spare wire. I use the wire with the 1 x 2 openings for the walls and top and hardware cloth for the bottom for the adults. Need much smaller for the babies - like a brooder, lol!

You don't want your cages too tall because when quail are frightened they jump straight up. If they have enough room to jump very far they'll build up enough momentum to knock themselves silly on the ceiling of the cage. I've seen 'em die from that. No nest boxes needed - they won't use 'em. I have been known to give them a bushy branch in their cage to hide in if they're real flighty and on really cold nights I'll stuff a bunch of hay in their cage and they hunker down in it. I have NO idea how they would handle your kind of cold.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I knew people who raised them 2 hours north of me so I assume they're ok in the cold. I think my Storeys Guide to Poultry has quail info in it, guess I better go look at it! They don't ideally go broody right? I do have an egg turner with teeny quail sized holders! Lol