Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well, I decided snow is wonderful. Just wonderful to look at as it falls and very pretty when it settles and kinda cool when it's pouring like it's doing here now…. until you have to go outside! :hide I got my firewood in and the chickens are fed and I'm quite content sitting here staring at it through the window now, thanks!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I figure if it gets this cold it might as well go ahead and snow, lol. But, not sure we'll get any of the white stuff. :idunno This amount of cold wet stuff is making the news - big time! The 6am news is still on....telling everybody to stay home. Makes sense to me. Unfortunately, my DH is not as practical as most folks. He decided to go to town and get a hair cut? Why? So your head can get even colder, lol. The man may be wonderful in very many ways but he's got the common sense of a rock. None. At. All.

If it gets down to the temps they're predicting it will be the coldest weather we've had in over 20 years. Yay...record breaking cold.

I went out about 8am and did the first round of feeding today. Got extra hay over the plants, in the quail pens and bedding places for the critters. Got the water turned off already to the back pens. Don't think I'll need to water this evening. There is water alllll over the ground and stupid goats won't walk through the ground water to get to their water troughs....they drink the nasty ground water instead. UGH! However, I'm thinking by tomorrow morning I'll be doing the bucket brigade. :he I live in the south for a reason -- and one of them is so I don't have to do the bucket brigade!

I think Gracie is the only one happy that it's so cold. She loves her house time!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, Cowboy has gone AWOL.... He BETTER be in the pasture cuz I don't really feel like going hunting for him. You just wait until I can finish that electric fence... I'm gonna enjoy watching him 'learn his lesson.'

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
An apology and a correction are due.... Cowboy has NOT gone awol! He is curled up inside his shed snuggled down in the deep hay. What a good dog, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL We got 2" of snow, it was 18 degrees. I suited up this morning to do the boiling water bucket thing. I put on flannel lined blue jeans, a thermal shirt, my sweat shirt my momma bought me in Scotland in 1980 that is so warm that I wear it maybe one day a year. Over that I put on Carhart overalls and my parka. I put a yellow smiley face knit hat on and pulled up the parka hood. I put on my blanket lined leather gloves. Then I lurched outside to meet the elements. :lol::lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpeg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You look pretty darn toasty! I discovered this morning that I need to dig out my muck boots....only problem is that they aren't very tall and the mud is really deep out there. Might have to stick with plain ol rubber boots until the depth of the mud changes. :(

And, I can't find my insulated waterproof gloves - I miss them!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but we have snow tires!
Can I borrow them? It's crazy out there...roads closed all over Houston....bridges are death traps! It started at 38 this morning and I think we're at 26 now...12 degree drop in 9 hours or so. Hope I've done enough preps.

Hot tub is my biggest fear. No way to keep it warm when the sucker won't come on - grrrrrr.

Don't know if work is open tomorrow - don't know if we're doing DH's surgery - don't know nuttin' at this point. It all "depends." We'd like to get the surgery behind us - but it's not worth taking a big risk if the roads are bad. We're at least 40 miles from the surgical center and I just can't see the point unless we get the all clear. And, from what the news is saying, the 'all clear' won't come until after noon tomorrow when the temps get above freezing. They did push the arrival time for surgery back to 10:15 instead of 8:30, but not sure that's enough.

Gonna be even more fun doing the bucket brigade in the morning without my warm gloves - argh! No one to blame but myself - shoulda got another pair when I knew I couldn't find the other ones.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to winter. I know, I know, you guys don't have winter for more than a day or two....and you've already had two so "what's this crap?" Right?

Your snow will be at my house tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!!

Latest posts