Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rough birth...big single buckling like I KNEW it would be. And, I thought she was bred to a smallish Kinder buck and it looks like she was bred to Dusty - the big full sized Nubian. How did this happen????

One of his back legs is a little wonky - I suspect he has some issues with being all cramped up inside that tiny doe. He's so big he's going to have to get on his knees to nurse. And - mama is being stupid. She wants to kiss him and lick him and do everything except stand still and let him nurse. Geeze louise! I milked her out and gave him a good feeding of colostrum. I also gave him some vitamin E and selenium gel. That should help that leg. It's not terrible, it's just a bit unsteady. I've had this happen with big ol' kids before. They get all cramped up in there and it takes a day or so for 'em to unhinge and the muscles and ligaments to pull that leg into alignment like it should be. Anyway, the rest is up to him. He was already trying to jump and play when I last checked on him.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will get a pic - I swear I will!

I'm so stinkin' tired that I might actually be glad to get back to work Monday so I can rest!

We got up early this morning because DH had another follow-up eye exam. On...A...Saturday. :( I wasn't so thrilled about it, but he didn't want to miss work. Gotta say though that the Houston traffic is much more manageable on a Saturday morning than a weekday afternoon. After sitting a couple hours at the doc's office we headed back to the AL facility to celebrate mom's b'day. I picked up a little plant for her (cuz she used to love to garden) and a new green blouse, lol. I mean - she was born on St. Patricks day so ya gotta honor that! I also picked up a bunch of mini-cupcakes to share with the entire facility. The oldsters sure do have a sweet tooth. I've heard that's because a lot of their taste buds kind of wear out as they age but they never lose the ones that register sweet. Sounds good to me, lol!

Tomorrow is my last day off so I've got to try and squeeze as much into that last day as I can. I want to see if the tiller will start since it hasn't been run since last year and make a couple passes around the garden. Then I need to finish filling the big tubs with all the fresh dirt and poop that I have to get the rest of my started plants into the dirt. I'm ready to see things growing!

The new baby is doing much better. He finally learned to nurse on his own - or more likely - mom decided to stand still and let him eat. She's still being a little cra-cra today...silly girl. She was one of the sweetest, most people-oriented goats I had, but she's not so happy with me right now. Maybe she wasn't so fond of me pulling that baby outta her cuz it HURT! She needs to figure out that I did her a favor, lol!

Needa go feed then I'll be chillin' for the rest of the evening!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:yuckyuck My mom when I was a small child used to let our Budgie take sips of her wine, from the glass. I'm not sure how that came about, but that bird was terrible begging for sips. After all these years I still remember the night he had a sip too many and fell off his perch! That was the end of the wine drinking for him. He lived quite a long and happy life in spite of (or is that thanks to?) the drinking.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The first time I met my now FIL, he was sharing his wine with a goose. This was when I was in high school, and not a farmer, and I thought... These people are crazy!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago, in my other life, I had a gorgeous Yellow Nape Parrot. That was when my kids were small and we sat down every night at the dining room table and had dinner. The bird would fly to the table and try to eat off of everyone's plate. The kids loved it - I wasn't so thrilled with a bird walking around on the table - so we gave him his own plate and he would stay right there and eat his own food. Spaghetti was his absolute favorite!