Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll...It's a sad day. But, I've got chicks hatching and I think Lucy will finally give birth today or tomorrow. Her udder has been growing all morning and ligs are very low. Hopefully this will happen before I go back to work on Monday.

I can't move Cocoa by myself and it's raining and yucky outside. I hate to just leave her in the barn but don't really have a lot of choice right now. I turned the garden cart upside down over her body to keep all the babies from jumping up and down on her. No dignity in death around here... It should stop raining and hopefully we can move her later this afternoon.

Got my new replacement dehydrator yesterday. I've got tons of onions I want to get dried and stored. Think I'll order some of those oxygen absorbers to go in the jars when I pack them away.

I need to make up a batch of overload dog food. When I get more eggs than I can possibly use and a bunch of milk backing up I boil up a huge pan of rice cooked in the milk and add all the eggs and whatever else may be lurking in the refrigerator and use it to supplement the dog/pig food for a few days.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cocoa's daughter isn't great - but she's still up. She cries out occasionally. She's had baking soda drench, thera-bloat, and milk of magnesia so far. I was hoping those things would bring her around but she doesn't look much better. She has raging diarrhea and I'm ok with that. Not going to treat her for that - gotta get that crap outta there.

I keep stressing them so much when I treat them that I'm trying to do it in stages. I'll give her some banamine for sure the next time I go out as well as some penicillin both orally and injectable to try and kill off the toxic crap growing in her rumen. Oh yeah...gave her some probiotics too. I'll be doing that regularly for a couple of days if she makes it that far.

I brought some branches in for them to browse on and Shadow is interested, Lil' Red is not. All the other goats seem fine. Really glad that Lucy is good. Would be horrible if she was sick so close to kidding.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:hugs That's farming… lives lost and new lives born and in-between we struggle and rejoice and do the best we can? I hope the other goats will be o.k. for you soon and the new baby(ies?) will show up soon-soon.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lucy is having a little gooey discharge - maybe we'll have babies soon - or maybe we won't have babies until tomorrow. :fl Sure hope she would go ahead and get it done so I could get some sleep tonight!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thinking about baby girls for you!! And sleep. Sleep would be good too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I neeeeed girls! :fl These will be F2 Kinders....and I need more kinder girls! I think they will cross well with Kiko's! But, the sire of these has been throwing lots of boys....ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh boys, lol. I want a kinder, they're too cool. How big are they compared to a kiko? Such interesting mixes you will have!