Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh… :fl I was thinking about your goats now while I was out in the garden. I hope she will continue improving now!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope she keeps improving! It's helpful for future reference reading what you're doing to help them also, thanks for sharing!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll.
It's helpful for future reference reading what you're doing to help them also, thanks for sharing!
That's one of the reasons I decided to document it all here. As much as I hate knowing that this all came from a bad decision on my part - I hope it helps anybody else who may go through this. It also eases my mind that I have a great vet who confirmed everything I was doing and reminded me about the B-complex vitamins. It also helps that he's always been great about letting me buy the medications to keep on hand. Banamine is a prescription drug that I was really happy I already had and didn't have to rush out and buy some - cuz this happened on a weekend - of course.

She's not completely out of the woods, but I feel a bit better about her chances now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lil Red is definitely holding her own. She wandered around today and nibbled a little bit of grass, ate some leaves when I threw some branches in their pen and actually thought I was gonna let her eat grain tonight. Ha! She got her little self locked up in a pen while everybody else ate their dinner. She is really not ever gonna forgive me for all this! And, I think she's gonna hold that grudge for a long time as in YAY I think she's gonna come out of it ok.

It was a totally beautiful day today...coolish because of the relentless wind, but still a great day to work outside. I built a tomato support system out of a bunch of branches. It's totally hillbilly but it'll last for the year and oughta work great. time will tell I guess. Staked up another batch of tomatoes that are in tubs.

I need to set up my sprinklers because I spent at least an hour on the end of a water hose giving all the areas a good drink. Hard to believe we haven't had enough rain to do much good. We've had showers, but they've been really fast moving.

Most of the garden is looking pretty good but having some issues with germination in the area that I planted in the buck pen. Hopefully after the watering it got today things will look more promising.

Okay - my latest brainstorm....how crazy would it be to turn the bucks out in the pasture with the does. I'm out of hay and the bucks need to browse! Most of the does should be bred from when I had the Kinder buck with them for a month. I'll keep the little gals in the front barnyard and... I dunno...might not be able to make myself do it, lol.

Gotta eat...leftover ribs and porkchops that I smoked/grilled yesterday. Yum!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gotta eat...leftover ribs and porkchops that I smoked/grilled yesterday.
:lol: POOOOORRRRR BABY!! Yeah :drool

Sorry about your does, the losses, the sickness. It is stressful to watch and deal with...the not knowing, especially. Have you tried Red Cell? That has always seemed to make any of mine feel hungry. Horses & goats. Plus it is very good for them.

Next, most important, have you put a lock, latch, can't open by goats on that damned door yet????????? Your are busy with the cleanup of bloat but, do get a better system they can't work & open. Because you KNOW they will be at it again. It isn't an "if" but a "when". They do not forget where the food is kept, put, provided, offered, found, has been and anything else you can say.:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes ma'am! Door is fixed with a brand new latch.

Have you tried Red Cell? That has always seemed to make any of mine feel hungry.

Yes, Red Cell is good stuff. But, I'm ok with her not eating for awhile... at least not grain. She'll get hay (when I buy some more tomorrow) and browse for a few days. That's all!

Forgot to mention that I put Lucy on the milk stand today. With a single baby I want to boost production so I'm starting early. She has to fill Cocoa's shoes now. Anyway, I literally couldn't remember if I'd had her on the stand last year or not. Either way, so far she's being absolutely wonderful about being milked. So far...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really sorry for your loss, that is so sad. I'm sure your butt is sore now from kicking yourself, sometimes we just screw up. I'm glad that it wasn't any worse--and it sure could have been. Sometimes it's a strange thing to say in a situation like this, but count your blessings.:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure your butt is sore now from kicking yourself

I'm just sick over it...Cocoa was truly the best goat on my place...not a great udder, but a great personality, great mother, great milker, always cooperative and loveable to boot. She knew her name and came when called. Second in command only behind her mom, Red, and was a great leader. I truly thought we had years and years to go... :(

But yes - it could have been worse...