Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I want to blame Chester - but I can't imagine him tenderly nibbling just the leaves off the bean seedlings and leaving the cotyledons and the stems.
It sounds like it may have been bugs. x2 What Mini Horses suggested with the buckets.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - congrats on the babies!

I suppose it could be bugs but 4 rows of bean leaves disappeared overnight....That would have to be a whole bunch of bugs working the graveyard shift! Buckets over the plants would be a great idea - but I don't have that many buckets. That was four long rows of corn and beans that disappeared. I'm thinking I'll replant this weekend and I guess I'll go ahead and wire over the openings in the stock panel - ugh.

I'm pleased to announce that Lil Red's poop is back to normal - YAY! No more poopy diarrhea butt. She's nursing her little guy every time he wants it so I'm guessing her milk should be coming back online.

Got tons of stuff to do this weekend. I'm going to put Conan and the little orphaned buckling in a separate pen so they can eat without fighting for every morsel. The other mothers keep them pushed away from feed if they can - even though Conan is bigger than all the other does except for Cameo, the Nubian. He's getting pretty tall - but he's still pretty lean. The other buckling is just a chunk! Might ... no...might...maybe...might hang on to him for awhile.

It's cool this morning...mid 50s and a tad breezy. I'm not gonna complain - lots of years we are already well into the 90's by now. I'm going to enjoy it while I can!

Yesterday I got another load of 'expired product' from the Food Pantry. It was mostly cabbage and watermelons. Oh my - the feeding frenzy! I'm doling it out a bit at a time - don't want any upset tummies. Not too worried about the pigs having upset tummies - but I'm really careful with the goats these days.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
GREAT -- for food expired dates....I haven't had any of my animals expire from eating it! :lol: Plus we are performing a service for them as it is less to pay the dumpster people to haul away.

Yeah, I'd think some inexpensive chicken wire on bottom of those fence panels would be a good investment in both time & money.

So glad your doe is doing well now.:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Behemoth! He's 3 months old today...

image.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's spotted next to him? Well, you wanted a good one. Looks like you may have him!

I looked at & selected a Saanen buckling today. :hide Pickup Sunday.....I'm already saying "WHAT??!" Hey, wanted one for a while and now have one. What I do NOT like is how hairy bucks get. Shave, guys! Just shave!!:rolleyes:

OK -- plus side -- she has turkeys, giving me all the thornless blackberry canes I can carry (seriously!) and some raspberry canes, lemon mint, catnip, wormwood -- I'm on a roll. Shovel in truck! :clap