Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had an allergic reaction to the last little front that came through Wednesday night - musta brought in some alien pollen from the Austin area....I had a sore throat and earache most of yesterday and last night so I begged off work today. Feel somewhat better and can actually breathe better outside so I'm doing some outside stuff. Guess the alien pollen dissipated or the little rain we had washed it outta the air - yay!

Working slowly but steadily at garden mulching. Amazing how quickly the weeds can get going when they finally get going, lol!

I've got three trees to get planted in the next couple days. I'm gonna see if DH can help with that. I usually do ALL the outside work but he's been trying to help lately because of the problems I'm having with my shoulders - both of them now - grrrrrr! I've been babying them the last few weeks and they are slightly better - just important that I don't keep reinjuring them. Hard not to use your shoulders... they're kind of important to anything you want to do with your arms and hands, lol.

We will be hosting one of the grandsons this weekend. This is DH's second grandson that just loves to come to the farm. Heck - they all love to come to the farm - this was just the kiddo that was free this weekend. We should have a lot of fun.

Went to visit the oldsters yesterday. They were both out of bed and at the lunch table when I got there. I was worried that I might not ever see mom out of that bed - but she was up and sitting pretty well. Dad's mind is playing tricks on him these days....according to him. He's still aware enough to know that he's having problems. Generally when I correct him on his memory he 'gets it' and can hold on to the reality for awhile.

I need to get back outside and enjoy this beautiful day. We're supposed to have a great weekend too! Hope I can get a bunch of stuff crossed offa the list.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel the same way! Itchy throat and cough and hoping it's allergies not a cold. Tree pollen is high, says the internet. Huh. Glad you're feeling better anyway!

Have fun with the kiddo! How old is he?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's 9 - about to be 10 in a few days. It's so hard to get DH's grandkids because they are so geographically scattered, lol. DH's son has 3 kids - all by different wives....argh. This ex-wife is pretty easy to work with. She's got three other younger kids so she's always willing to let him go visit somebody, lol!

I'm already tired and it's only 2. I'm making progress in the garden, but it's slow. I'm weeding, putting down feed sacks and then topping the feed sacks with old hay. It's definitely a multi-step process and I'm not moving so fast today. But, the garden is doing what gardens do. Maybe I'll let the grandkid pick the first thing out of the garden today or tomorrow. There's a pepper out there that can be picked any time. He'll get a kick out of that.

No idea what I'm gonna cook for dinner...maybe I'll let DH pick up something on the way home. That sounds easy enough.

Water break over - back to it.

Happy Friday, ya'll!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good day! We got the two little grand daughters this morning. The library hosted a dairy that brought baby calves, a Holstein cow, 2 goats and 2 dogs for kids to pet and feed. Then there were crafts inside along with ice cream, chocolate milk and cheese. They had a blast, but I think we had more fun than they did.

All 3 are spending the night, the oldest made cookies. Tomorrow DD is sky jumping and we are going to watch her jump out of an airplane.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow DD is sky jumping and we are going to watch her jump out of an airplane.
My daughter did that and I told her if she ever did it again I'd kill her myself. They had a video of her and the guy she jumped in tandem with. They had a problem and the chute got tangled....at that point the videographer stopped shooting. Thank goodness she was with a pro who spun them around and got them untangled. After she cleaned her pants she tried to convince me it was funny. Not just no but HELL no!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm considering skydiving after a friend here told me about his jump. He said it was awesome. I figured that would a good way to either kill myself, or get over my fear of heights! :p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't do it, lol. Call me chicken, but I like having my feet on the ground!!

I just got through re-planting most of the 'buck pen' garden. And, once again I turn around and found that Chester is following me around in there so I'm 99.9% sure he's the garden eating culprit. I will remedy that situation at some point this weekend. Ugh.
I replanted corn and okra out there and I'm not gonna baby any of it - I've got enough of that to do in the front garden.

I had some extra room in the front garden so I've planted Swiss Chard and something called Mustard Spinach greens? Never heard of them but gonna try 'em. Also put some more mixed lettuce seeds out (almost too hot for that now) and some garlic chives and a few rows of white beans.

Some of what 'disappeared' in the buck pen garden were some red yard long beans. They are way cool looking, but they do turn green when cooked. They look like they're trying to make a come back. I have some seeds for the green ones, so I'm going to find them a nice place in the dirt.

Still have more mulching to do but I'm about out of feed sacks....argh!

Seriously need to trim Dusty's feet. That big galoot is such a gentle giant for everything EXCEPT feet trimming. Hope he's changed his attitude a little bit cuz I'm gonna work on 'em even if he's not loving it.

DH is going to take the grand to a movie this afternoon and then they'll swing by and visit DH's mom - grandson's great grandma. They'll enjoy that. I'm begging off so I can take advantage of this glorious weather. By next week they've said it'll be hot and humid so I can't waste these two days. Hoping to get the garden to a place where I can just stand back and watch until it's time to start picking!

Gotta get busy...​

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'm considering skydiving after a friend here told me about his jump. He said it was awesome. I figured that would a good way to either kill myself, or get over my fear of heights! :p

In the economy boom in the mid-90's (wow, 20 years ago), a local airstrip had a parachute club. A number of instances of serious injuries and a fatality now and then (a very experienced person ending up landing on the road...not good). The place I worked had a bunch of co-workers that tried to get me to jump with them. Nope, and they had at least one broken ankle in the group and several sprains when it was all said and done.

The house I had at the time was close enough to the strip, we could sit in the back yard and watch the planeload after planeload of jumpers on the weekend. Fun to watch, but no for me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have one of those places near us too... my sheriff friend says they average a couple of deaths a year and dozens of injuries that never get a lot of publicity. The worst one that I remember was when a jumper hit the ground hard. He had come alone and nobody noticed that he wasn't with the group at the end of the run. The next morning they found the guy up by the door of the office - dead as could be. The saddest part of that was that when they found him he had only been dead an hour or so. That meant that he had spent the entire evening and night dragging himself toward the office building only to die when he got there. Autopsy showed he had shattered both legs and had a ruptured liver and spleen....they could probably have saved him if he'd been hospitalized in a timely manner.

Nope - not my cup of tea! About the biggest chance I've taken lately is when I got in the car with DH driving the other day when my truck battery was dead, lol.