Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is always a beautiful sight :) My zucchini seeds didn't grow enough to make seedlings yet, but hopefully in a few weeks I'll be showing off my own too!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Busy, busy day! The grand has been delivered back home...DH did the delivery while I stayed home and kept up with the farm chores.

Got a good watering in on both garden areas. I've had two of the four sections of the buck pen closed off. One section for the buck munchie stuff, and the other for (hopefully) a no worry garden with corn, okra, beans and various squashes. I planted clover between the rows. I'm really not gonna stress about that area - if it does good it does good and if it doesn't... eh...least I tried. It'll make a goat munchie area too even if it doesn't give me any goodies.. So, I looked at the 3rd section of the buck area and decided to close it off too. It's got some Bermuda grass in it that's been chewed down to the dirt. I think with a little TLC and water it'll recover nicely. And, I've got a bag of bird seed in the garage that I'm gonna throw in that space before the next rain that's predicted this weekend. Ya never know - I might actually get lucky and get something going!

I planted a tree. "A" tree. I was supposed to plant 3. Didn't happen...

I ramshackled together a shaded area in Conan's pen. It' a nice enough pen - but was lacking a really good shady area....it's hillbilly but it's got more shade now, lol.

DH came home and decided to mow the yard - woo hoo! Just when I was saying it was nice to have outside help - I got some outside help! Yay!

One of the broody hens came off her nest today and there was a rush by the other hens.... I think all the eggs were bad cuz there was a huge stench and a feeding frenzy....ugh! She was nesting in a dog crate so I emptied it out and turned the opening toward the wall. I've still got two more broodies working....not sure if they'll have more luck. Maybe I'll sneak out and candle some eggs tonight.

Right now I just need a cool beverage before I think about doing anything else - like the laundry that I should've already done. Nothing like a little procrastination...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my week to plant in the garden! You are doing great with your garden, I like the buck pen planting. it will probably yield a huge harvest.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens are so disgusting! We had some turkey hens sit on eggs that went bad once. The smell... I almost fell over.

How's Conan doing? When do you put little dudes in the buck pen? I need to find clifford an adult intact friend I think. Not gonna work the way I'd hoped! Bucks are so creepy.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I had an egg explode under a broody once. Strangely it didn't break the membrane, but the shell was cracked and broken all over, with the contents bulging out… :confused: I would've impressed the bomb squad, removing that thing from the coop…

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a chick chirping loudly from an egg last night. Hen#2 was left on eggs and it appeared this one got too dry before escape. Probably due to all the catching & moving and attacking me. I helped the shell open, little dry membrane off and put it back to continue the get up & out. Checking on all that in a few. The hen #1 has all chicks coming when she calls...all there :)

FEM, good job on planting for the bucks. I have had the barley & mllets & sunflowers start from seeds they didn't find. In fact, some were in an area with no goats and they matured with nice plums of millet seed -- I refed. :clap You really can get a good amount of seed from from each plant. I would love to plant a small plot just to be able to mature & harvest.

ALAS -- I don't have even ONE plant or seed out yet!! MUST DO!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How's Conan doing? When do you put little dudes in the buck pen?
He's doing well. Just passed the 3 month mark and he's already got an admirer. It's so funny and I can't exactly figure out why - but Red - the big Nubian doe has been hanging out next to his pen. They both seem smitten with each other. They rub noses and lay down next to each other with the fence in between. So, I guess they will have a date this fall! Hard to believe that he'll be makin' babies in a few months!

I'm in no rush to put him with the big guys right now since I have their pen squished down to just one area. He and the orphan buckling are penned together. I'm pretty generous with the feed in their pen. I want them both to grow and fill out as much as they can. I need to get a bale of alfalfa or maybe some Chaffhaye for them. They have alfalfa pellets but tend to leave them in the pan. :hu

FEM, good job on planting for the bucks. I have had the barley & mllets & sunflowers start from seeds they didn't find.
Yep - same here. Sometimes they'll come up and make it to maturity. Kind of cool how much grain you get off of each stalk. Chickens love it too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah Conan! He's going to have gorgeous babies! I can't wait to see them. How's the orphan doing? How old was he when mama died, old enough to be able to grow ok?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The orphan is doing ok - he was close to weaning age and was already eating well.

Thought we might get some rain tonight - but nope - just cloudy and windy - but nuttin else. Guess it's a good thing I watered well yesterday.

DH is having a low blood sugar episode and I'm emotionally fried tonight.... About to head to the bed!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw how'd your hubby do the rest of the night? Hope he leveled out!

Glad the orphan is doing well!